cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to get Broadband in a new build

sp363
Joining in

Hi,

im having a nightmare trying to get broadband into my Taylor wimpey new build.  I’m led to belief both VM and BT open reach are hardwired into the property already. 

firstly I was told I had to be present for the face plate appt, then no one turned up. Then told its external work so no one has to be around. Anyway I keep chasing daily and they’re telling me on the phone it’s still being done. Surprise surprise my installation date of the 15th comes and the engineer who actually turned up (genuinely shocked he actually arrived) has a look and says he can’t do anything because external (or as he said internal work in new builds) hasn’t been done. 
long story short no one in the call centres knows what’s going on and I’m on a “priority list” but they won’t be to able “install” until the 31st?!?! 

Is there anyone that actually knows what they’re doing in my area? Only reason I’m trying to join VM is for the nhs discount! I need the internet ASAP, so will likely be going for BT as I know from others on the estate it’s next day delivery and activation of services! Why are VM so bad!!

6 REPLIES 6

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
New build estates are usually pre-installed with the infrastructure for OpenReach or VM - rarely both. What do the builders have to say about what they installed? Did they just lay in generic ducts - or did they partner with VM or OR to install the cables, cabinets, wall boxes etc?

What connectivity do you new neighbours have - OR or VM? Any street cabinets visible to you - if so from which company ?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See if there are any CATV pavement covers in your neighbourhood, it's a good sign if present. Also a new build is typically fitted with wall sockets that have covers with the VM logo if in a VM area.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good morning sp363, 

Welcome to the forums and thank you for taking the time to post. 

I am sorry to hear that you have had some issues with getting your services installed. 

I have managed to locate your account & I can see that you have spoken with one of the team, have they been able to assist you with this? 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

Hi,

thanks for the replies everyone, I think I was mistaken and the VM box in the house wasn’t hardwired and set up like BT open reach where you just plug in and have internet instantly.

sorry they’ve not been very helpful as they can’t contact the pre installation team. I appreciate they’re not on the ground so don’t know what’s happening. Sadly this has been going on for almost 3 weeks so I’ll most likely be going with BT given that VM can’t tell me about any of the work needed to be done. Apparently someone has been out to the house on Monday and needed access but I was not informed of this despite them having my phone number. Can’t really do much when you’re not told there’s an appointment!

Thanks!

Hi sp363, 

Thanks for coming back to us with an update on this one. 

We're sorry to hear you're no further forward. Let's see if we can get any update / movement on this for you. 

We'll need to pass data protection with you to discuss things further so I have sent you a private message. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right-hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi sp363, 

Thanks for coming back to me via private message on this one. As we're no longer swapping any account personal information we can revert back to the Community thread 🙂 

I understand the frustrations of course and can only apologise for the delays. 

The dates I've given are the ones on the account and so we would go off them. The install is already set as priority due to previous delays but that is for the date I have given. 

If the faceplate appointment doesn't go ahead, come back to us so we can check the account for an update for you however for now, we can only wait. 

Apologies once again. 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs