cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trunking/Conduit for External Cable

vbishop
Joining in

Hi,

I am having some building work done in the garden and the builders want to put some protective trunking around the Virgin cable. To do this the cable needs to be disconnected from the brown box and fed through the trunking. Can a Virgin engineer come out to me to disconnect and connect up again? Photo of cable below - about 4/5 metres of cable.Untitled.png

Thank you,

Vaughan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM will do it for £25.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM will do it for £25.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Open the brown "omnibox" and take a look - good chance that the incoming cable is connected by an in-line F-type connector that's secured by a nut.  In that case, undo it carefully and you've got a free cable to work with, that can easily be reconnected, although minimise the time it's disconnected as there's a risk of noise ingress through uncapped cable ends.  Make sure the builders understand the important of not damaging, crushing or crimping the cable (eg by too tight a bend).

If the cable is captive in any way, then the £25 non-fault call out beats trying to sort it out yourself.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Protect the cable end while it's loose by wrapping it with tape. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello vbishop,

If you do need help please let me know, as I can book this in for you.

The cable should have been in a green conduit when it was installed. 

Please let me know if you need any assistance, 

The previous replies have explained what to do perfectly.

Gareth_L

vbishop
Joining in

Thank you to everybody for the helpful replies. I have decided to play it safe and have arranged for a Virgin engineer to disconnect and reconnect (£25) with the builders adding the conduit. The only issue is that the lead time for an engineer visit is more than 2 weeks but we can work round that.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@vbishop wrote:

Thank you to everybody for the helpful replies. I have decided to play it safe and have arranged for a Virgin engineer to disconnect and reconnect (£25) with the builders adding the conduit. The only issue is that the lead time for an engineer visit is more than 2 weeks but we can work round that.

Yes. Particularly if you have the seperate telephone service alongside Broadband & TV, as these have crimped one-time connections that must be cut off & replaced by new ones.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks