Menu
cookywook
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Trouble checking availability when moving

So I'm moving next month, and I'd like to take VM with me.

I'm using the online tool to check if VM is available in my area, but having some trouble.

The first time around the flat wouldn't even show up in the list. So I let Virgin look into it. But the email I got back doesn't look legit at all (weird subject line, fonts, colours, spacing). So I'm not confident it was properly looked at.

So I've gone back to trying the tool myself. I've had some success in getting the tool to actually find the flat now, but when I select it it tells me Virgin isn't available in my area. (Other properties on the same street are connected fine).

Maybe it's just not available for me for some reason. But when I click the "tell me when it becomes available" prompt, it tells me it's been checking a totally different property in Manchester.

(see my N16 postcode vs. this M20 one).

So basically I'm not confident that either the manual check was done correctly, nor the online tool checker.

I'm chatting with VM about this over Twitter and online chat, but it's extremely difficult to get them to recognise what the problem even is (it's a bit complicated). So far they're still asking me if I've used the postcode checker... which obviously I am 🙂

Any advice?

0 Kudos
cookywook
Joining in
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Trouble checking availability when moving

Do let me know if I've posted this in the wrong place! The checker bug (where it defaults to Manchester) is still happening as far as I can see.

I've also written up the email I received because I found it fascinating:

http://cookywook.co.uk/blog/virgin-media-support-sent-me-the-weirdest-email-ever/

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Cookywook. 

Thanks for your first post and welcome to our forums page.

I'm really sorry to hear you are having trouble with our online service checker, I'll get this reported back to the right team for you.

I will be more than happy to see what information I can find out about services being available in your new property. To be able to do this, I will need some more details from you so I'll drop you a PM asking for the details I would need. If you can reply to that message, I will be more than happy to help.

Thanks

Lindsey_C

0 Kudos
cookywook
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lindsey! Thanks for the reply.

I've been through the tool now several times with folks over live chat, and Twitter DM. I've come to the conclusion that Virgin just isn't available in my new flat and I'll have to go elsewhere.

At this point, it'd just be great if someone can acknowledge the bug in the form. Nobody from Virgin has done this yet (every time I try to ask about it, we have to start all over again).

Here's the steps to reproduce:

1) I sign into my account at virginmedia.com

2) I scroll down to "Moving home?" and click find out more.

3) I enter my new postcode into the box - a London postcode beginning N16.

4) I can't see my property in the list, so click Can't find your address?

5) I click my property in the new list, and press Next.

6) I get the "Oh dear..." page. I click the details link to stay updated about when VM is coming to my area. I can already see the hyperlink is for a different post.

7) I click the link and it says: "Our services aren’t currently available in your area
We've checked your address, [I've removed the first line], MANCHESTER, M20[removed], and unfortunately it looks like you can't get our services right now. Check another postcode."

Can you try that and see what happens? I want to be sure it's not just me being crazy! I can also do a screen recording if that helps.

0 Kudos