Menu
davetee
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Trespass

I would like you to explain to me why you think it is appropriate to access private property and lay cables in a water run off without the owner’s consent (myself being the owner), when permission to access the said property had already been denied.  Are you not bothered about the consequences, or do you think your company is above the law?

I would welcome your explanation.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Trespass

would be best to contact the construction dept 0333 000 5925 would be around a week for the forum admin to reply and more than likely would advise the same as myself.
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
dnpark38
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Think the OP needs legal advice from his solicitor on this in my house deeds I do have to give access to neighbours and utilities which I thought was the normal. 

0 Kudos
davetee
Tuning in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Since when is an internet service provider regarded as a utility. Gas, Water and Electric are utilities.
0 Kudos
dnpark38
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

In this water, drainage, gas, electricity, telephone and TV cables, etc. are all covered together.

http://www.boundary-problems.co.uk/boundary-problems/easements.html

As I said before a visit to your solicitor might be a good idea as you seem to feel very strongly on what as happened.   I was given good advice from a solicitor long time ago on neighbour disputes that it was better to talk to neighbours on these things by asking them round for a cup of tea etc. to chat rather than pay him, yes to win but to loose a neighbours friendship for ever.

I'm assuming removal of the cables will result in loss of service to others.

0 Kudos
davetee
Tuning in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Correct...I own my property neighbours are only renting and may just be short term. The channel where they laid the cables is for draining water...not for laying cables in.  The trespass aside, Virgin Engineers are supposed to discuss the work with the property owner before carrying out any work and this wasn't done either.  VM are breaking their own code of conduct.

0 Kudos
StopItRawr
Rising star
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

davetee wrote:

Correct...I own my property neighbours are only renting and may just be short term. The channel where they laid the cables is for draining water...not for laying cables in.  The trespass aside, Virgin Engineers are supposed to discuss the work with the property owner before carrying out any work and this wasn't done either.  VM are breaking their own code of conduct.

Then seek legal advice.

If VM have broken the law, your recourse is the courts, the community forum is not the avenue for this sort of thing as the team here will not be able to do anything other than direct you to the construction team, as said above.

spikey673
Dialled in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

If it were me in your situation, the cable would be cut where it entered my land/left my land and the bit in the middle would be put in the bin!

its your property you can do what you like (ok the cable itself isn’t your property, but it shouldn’t be there)

IF i have helped you, please give me kudos / mark me as helpful, thanks
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

If I were you I'd ignore spikey673's advice. While VM may have committed a civil wrong by laying a cable when they didn't have wayleave to do so (I pass no opinion on this) it is a criminal offence to damage another's property in the way suggested. Don't do it.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
davetee
Tuning in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I wasn't going to act on his advice...VM are the idiots thinking I'll let them get away with this...not me!

0 Kudos