cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The mess they make cutting your footpaths up

Sunnydays11
Joining in

Don’t you think virgin media are a disgrace we have paid thousands for a brand new house all new tarmac streets and what do virgin media decide to do after being in the home for 8 months come along and cut all the footpaths to feed there wires underneath what a absolute mess they leave behind loads of cement clumps it all treads  into your new hone ,  tram lines all along the streets there’s no way I would ever have virgin media they are a total disgrace.

7 REPLIES 7

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What you have to realise is all the disruption is in the name of competition. Your elected representatives in parliament have decided that all these comms companies can dig the roads anywhere they like to increase the competition & “keep prices low”. We had all our pavements resurfaced in 2017. The along come COLT communications & dug it all up again 6 months later. They are not even providing services to our houses, it was just the shortest route to where they wanted to get too.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

I think in this case the problem is the new build developers.  They view every single utility as an opportunity to take another cut, by demanding that the connections are provided free by "inset" providers for the last mile, and they'll usually agree with a single telco to be the first provider of services.  So in this case, if VM haven't got in at planning stage and signed a deal, then they won't have access to the site before roads are legally adopted by the council, and the council won't adopt until construction (at least for that phase) is completed and the roads and pavements finished.

The same applies to other telcos if VM agree a first provider arrangement with a developer.  In that case customers can ask for an Openreach connection, but costs of providing it if the estate hasn't been cable may mean the customer can't afford it.

I understand that but it doesn’t make it right how would they like it if I went and threw cement in lumps and cut their paths up outside their house and left it  England looks a right dump without them contributing  to it they should  tarmac over there mess instead of tram Ines and big cut out squares , never in a million years would I have virgin even if it was free , 

In that case take it up with the developers who have sanctioned this work.

I have been given the field managers email so you bet I am giving them hell . 

As said above, there is nothing special about Virgin digging up the pavements.

Virgin don't do this work, they have contractors who do it. Those contractors work for other companies too - any business that needs roads and pavements dug up for ducting to be put in.  They all get the same workmen with the same tools,  and as with any job the quality of the work depends on the individual who does it.

By all means have a moan at the local manager, perhaps they might get the contractors back to tidy it up.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

That’s what they should be doing  otherwise we can all sit back and let them do what they want , if people don’t complain and have there say nothing changes .