cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telewest box no TV socket

j35cain
Tuning in

So I have ordered the M100 setup as after speaking with virgin they said the person here before me had virgin fibre and when i input my address online it also confirms fibre was previously used by the person before me, I have found my telewest box after reading through the setup process and seeing this is what i’ll need, there seems to be a metal connecting coming out the FM port which I see people are saying is the incorrect socket and that i need to use the TV socket for broadband, however when I have looked at the TV socket I cannot seem to see any sort of socket in the hole? is there any assistance I can get with this please.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@j35cain wrote:

I assume this is the splitter you meant? I had tried getting the telewest box apart but I do not have the security screwdriver needed to get some screws out, is there no way of plugging the VM splitter straight into the black cable that runs into the street?

0B3378DF-E035-4626-B685-B44355F6064D.jpeg

Yes, since the new cables have a filter you should be able to unscrew the main cable from the surge protector in the wall box, and directly connect the cables together.

You'll need an adapter, like this:

https://www.diy.com/departments/slx-f-type-satellite-cable-coupler/5028422001905_BQ.prd

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you please share a photo? 

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The FM socket probably has a terminator on it, this is correct, it’s not used anymore. The quick start kit will be supplied with a splitter that plugs into the other socket on the existing wall box. This splitter supplies two outputs, one for the TV and one for the VM hub.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Yes of course, so the wire there goes to the FM  but there is just a blank plate where TV is so i do wonder if they have just the correct connection into the FM socket for some sort of convenience, I am completely new to this so this may make no sense sorry.

F82D8368-9C17-4C56-8044-D8CC0B01C1AA.jpeg

F25C924D-40D0-4946-BDE7-21B3AAFD70B4.jpeg

Thank you for getting back to me also I saw your responses in other people posts were quite helpful, do you think what I mentioned could be the case? The FM socket has the correct connection but has just been put in FM place just for convenience or does it not work that way?

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You will need to take the cover off that box, as the "FM" socket still looks like there are remnants of the old cable still attached.

I'm guessing once that socket is sorted out, it would be the one to use.  

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I shall give that a go, it did look a bit strange not seeing an empty socket but if i can get it clear i shall, that cable is tight in the wall so its hard to get any play on it but shall keep it updated on this post.

I assume this is the splitter you meant? I had tried getting the telewest box apart but I do not have the security screwdriver needed to get some screws out, is there no way of plugging the VM splitter straight into the black cable that runs into the street?

@j35cain wrote:

Yes, since the new cables have a filter you should be able to unscrew the main cable from the surge protector in the wall box, and directly connect the cables together.

You'll need an adapter, like this:

https://www.diy.com/departments/slx-f-type-satellite-cable-coupler/5028422001905_BQ.prd

I did end up calling out Virgin to deal with it which is just as well as apparently the cable was “disconnected from the grid” when I had mentioned about going to the community site and mentioned your answer he said it would of been the correct thing to do so thanks to all for the help!