cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Technician failed to show on multiple (7) occasions for cable re-pull

PWO027
Tuning in

Hi All,

On 1 Jun we lost all services due to a cable break.  The very helpful technician tried to repair 3 Jun, couldn't, and so ordered a re-pull which he said would likely happen 6 or 7 Jun.

We have had the visits scheduled for 7, 8, 15, 17, 18, 20, 21, all of which have been no shows, although apparently the tech couldn't gain access 8 Jun as there was a van in the way (no effort made to see if it could be moved), and on 15 Jun identified that the job couldn't be completed as there was a construction issue and couldn't be completed without a large 2m Cobra (which has been quoted by Field Operations and Customer Service on every no show since 15 Jun).

I have spoken to a mix of Customer Service and Field Operations Support on every occasion and have been assured that the rescheduled visit would take place and the re-pull completed at the new appointment.  On two occasions Customer Service arranged for a call to be made to me by a manager within 24 hours to discuss both a complaint and Field Operations.  Neither arranged call happened.

I have been told this morning, that yesterday's no show has been rescheduled for today (!) and of course now have no faith that anything will happen.

Any advice on where to take this or who to contact next would be greatly appreciated as we are currently in a loop where the only activity is me calling to report another no show, and not getting a satisfactory answer why appointments continue to be missed or a credible way forward.

Many thanks!

Paul

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The unfortunate thing here is that I can tell you how to complain, who to complain to, the order such things should be done, even the ways to get out of a fixed term contract.  I can explain the compensation you can reasonably ask for, and how to wring that out of VM if they are unwilling.  What I cannot do, nor will be achieved by complaints is to speed up VM's sadly and serially incompetent installations and re-pulls processes, neither the explanation of why they are so inept, nor the provision of accurate information on when this simple task will actually be done.  Even involving the CEO's complaints team will not answer those questions or expedite completion, and taking the matter through formal complaint to external adjudication will still leave those matters unaddressed. 

So @PWO027 given the limits there, how can I be of assistance?

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

16 REPLIES 16

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Andrew-G  Usually has good advice for these situations and has posted many times on similar ones (just cant lay my fingers on one at the moment 😎)  - just do a search on his posts... or he may respond here soon

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

The unfortunate thing here is that I can tell you how to complain, who to complain to, the order such things should be done, even the ways to get out of a fixed term contract.  I can explain the compensation you can reasonably ask for, and how to wring that out of VM if they are unwilling.  What I cannot do, nor will be achieved by complaints is to speed up VM's sadly and serially incompetent installations and re-pulls processes, neither the explanation of why they are so inept, nor the provision of accurate information on when this simple task will actually be done.  Even involving the CEO's complaints team will not answer those questions or expedite completion, and taking the matter through formal complaint to external adjudication will still leave those matters unaddressed. 

So @PWO027 given the limits there, how can I be of assistance?

Many thanks for the heads up on @Andrew-G, who has indeed responded!

KR, Paul

Hi.  Many thanks for the response, I appreciate it.

So, unfortunately, I’m not surprised to hear that the mechanisms in place to try to expedite issues and make for a better service aren’t liable to achieve either.  Also, unsurprisingly, the technician re-scheduled to visit today for the re-pull failed to materialise.

We’re presently in “fallback mode” tethering a Fire-TV stick, tablets, and laptops to my iPhone which is on a 3 unlimited data contract.  The result is starting to encourage me to look at mobile broadband in place of my current VM package despite the significant bandwidth difference.

To that end, I’d appreciate pointers for both compensation for total loss of service and ending the M200 Bigger TV and phone contract early (it presently ends minimum term Feb 23).

Once again, thanks for your time.

KR, Paul 

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Delayed install/loss of service compensation is paid after the connection goes live, or after the contract is cancelled.  So on the assumption that you do want to cancel, then your starting point is a formal complaint to VM (possibly you've already done this), outlining the pig's ear they've made of this.  If you haven;t already complained, you need to and make sure you state that in view of the delays you have lost any faith in their competence to deliver their service with reasonable skill and care as per the Consumer Rights Act 2015, and in line with the remedies outlined by the act, you wish to terminate your contract immediately and without penalty, and with compensation for the (1) poor customer service, (2) loss of connection, (3) lies and incompetence of the company's agents.  I'd suggest that you ask for £50 against each of 1, 2, 3, plus loss of connection at the Ofcom rate of £8.40 a day.  State that unless they can agree to these terms then you require an immediate deadlock letter in order to take the matter to CISAS, the industry complaints adjudicator.  If you need to do this,  add £100 to the compensation request from CISAS for poor complaint handling, and do a short summary complaint to Ofcom relating to VM's complaint process).

Expect VM to offer a fob-off resolution letter that fails to address your request - this is normal, VM's complaints team are offshore wage slaves with no understanding of anything relevant to UK consumer law, UK telecoms regulation, the Fairness Commitments VM have signed up to, or indeed anything else.  With the deadlock letter (might have to request it again after receiving and rejecting whatever comedy "resolution" VM offer) you approach CISAS.  Whether they'll agree with my suggested amounts (and whether they view it as a delayed install rather than loss of connection) above time will tell, but if you don't ask you don't get, and at least your complaint will get a fair hearing.

A couple of further thoughts - don't forget any compensation you're entitled to for missed appointments, but bear in mind that's only for appointments that required you to be available.  Also, it's possible you would still prefer VM to connect you promptly, then in the complaint to VM you state that you are making "time of the essence", and they have two weeks to either complete the installation or release you from contract.  But still use the complaint and adjudication process to get a reasonable compensation settlement - VM's interpretation of the rules on compensation is sometimes very one-sided.

It is also possible that VM install during the time CISAS are reviewing the matter.  In that case they may simply award you compensation but deem that you're in contract and connected now for the remainder of your contract, or they may still require that VM offer you release without penalty (this last possibility would be at your discretion, so you could choose to stay or leave as you see fit).

Good luck!  It's a pain that VM are so shambolic that customers are reduced to these options, when all everybody should have wanted, and what should have been delivered was a prompt account transfer and reconnection.  VM would have had thirty days or more to establish that you were moving, and whether or not the new property was serviceable before the event, there's no excuse.

Good Morning,

Thank you once again!  At this point I haven’t formally complained about the repair, or lack of it, but will craft something up over the weekend if it’s quiet and start the pryrolling.

Couldn’t agree more that all the customer is after is a fair service for their outlaw.  A pity it is all too difficult.

KR

Paul

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi PWO027, 

Thank you for your post and welcome to the forums. 

Firstly, I would like to apologise for this awful experience - upon reading your post I can't even begin to imagine how frustrating this must be. Upon checking our system, I can see that this has been arranged for today - now from the journey you've had, I know you have every right to believe this won't take place. I ask at this moment if we can allow for the appointment time to take place today and if this doesn't I will take this further for you and look to get a resolution for this. 

Please keep me posted. 

Cheers, 

Ryan. 

Good Evening Ryan,

I have just made it back home from work (I work in a 12 hour shift pattern and am unable to access messages regularly), checked email etc and seen your post.

Not surprisingly, given VMs performance so far, there has been no visit today making it 24 days with a total loss of service.  I have however received notification of this months bill, which credits my account with £25 for one missed visit, but seems to have lost track of all the others and forgotten the automatic compensation for loss of service.  I’m sure you’ll understand that at this point my expectations which have been singularly mismanaged, aren’t too high.  If you you can expedite the situation I’d be be grateful.

Best Regards,

Paul