cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Talk Talk plus VM Services in same house

aimccartney14
Joining in

Hi all!

I am currently living in a property owned by family who have an existing package with Utility Warehouse (Gas, Elec, Talk Talk broadband all combined in one - there is no option to discontinue the internet portion)

I work from home 100% of the time and their signal is frankly horrendous, 20 m/b download would be considered a good day and this means I have to hotspot all day whilst working which isn't ideal for my battery life.

I spoke with them and they are happy I put in VM on the basis that it doesn't impact their current talktalk package (and the wider Utility Warehouse deal) - so my question is:

Can I keep this current UW package (using presumably the BT line for Talk Talk to the property) and also take out Virgin Media to have Fibre/TV in the property? Would this require a second line to the property or does anyone know the process of installing VM? In an ideal world if they can cable from the street and put the box through the wall that would be best but I don't know the ins-and-outs of this. Unsure if this counts as a "second" line and if this would also be subject to additional charges?

Many thanks

Alistair

10 REPLIES 10

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Virgin Media does not use BT-Openreach infrastructure and is totally separate.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks Japitts, I knew they were different infrastructure but I guess the question is how would the connection get from the street to our house specifically, would they put a separate line in the tubing underground as not to cut off the current BT line?

Virgin Media will use an existing line or run a new one from the street as is needed.
How to run it and where the virgin media cable goes depends on the layout of the property.

It is quite a different technology the Openreach / TalkTalk type of system so no risk of messing up the house holders system.

If there are other VM services to local properties you may be able see typical VM installations for your area.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Any VM cables will be completely separate, including any ductwork. They can run side by side without any issues. 
There may be an issue if you have a working Talk Talk router as the two WiFi signals ( VM and TalkTalk) could cause issues when broadcasting in the same space. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Thanks for this - I was just planning on unplugging the talktalk router really, so hopefully this wouldn't be an issue!

Might be as well to leave the talk talk router in place, the transition from BT analogue to VOIP phones is seeing phones unplug from wall sockets and reconnected to the rear of ISP's routers.

You mentioned the house holder, if that means you are there on a temporary basis, be aware of VM termination fees in case you need to move to work elsewhere and have to cancel the VM service with many months left to run.

Thanks for the advice. We are here for a minimum 12 months with the option to buy from them (they are family) but have that in mind. Thanks.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@aimccartney14 wrote:
Thanks for the advice. We are here for a minimum 12 months with the option to buy from them (they are family) but have that in mind. Thanks.

VM do offer rolling one month contracts, although these are not well advertised, & there is a loss of discount. A lot of new contracts are now 18 months.

https://www.virginmedia.com/broadband/rolling-contract 

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

All ordered now, thanks all!