cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV and Broadband to Garden Room

Gazza323
Joining in

Hi, I am having a garden Room built and require a 50m cable to be routed from my existing VM box outside, around the building and dropped into the builders trench and into the building, to be connected and tested at each end by a VM engineer when the building I complete. I need TV and broadband exactly as the setup in the house so I need the correct cable.

My question is can VM supply me with 50m of cabling so I can have the cable installed before the engineer turns up?

I have included a pic of my outside box, the main brown wire from the road (not worried about the telephone wires) joins to the black wire which connects inside, split to WiFi router and TiVo box, it's the black type wire that I want going to the garden Room and needs to be buried. I presume that it can be split at the join in the outside box?

IMG_20220225_150757_resized_20220225_052147945.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

No, VM won’t supply the cabling. Your options are to either arrange an engineer visit with VM while the trench is open to install the cable or install ducting and a pull string to allow the cable to be pulled through by a VM engineer after the building work is complete.

My setup: VM TV 360 box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

2 REPLIES 2

SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

No, VM won’t supply the cabling. Your options are to either arrange an engineer visit with VM while the trench is open to install the cable or install ducting and a pull string to allow the cable to be pulled through by a VM engineer after the building work is complete.

My setup: VM TV 360 box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You say you want broadband as well as TV. Your broadband is supplied by the VM hub. So you will have to arrange for a Cat6 cable to be installed from the VM hub and terminated in the garden room. I would suggest you get 2 cables laid as the actual cable is very cheap and if there is a problem in the future you can use the spare cable. The Cat6 cable should be terminated in a wall socket. Into this socket you will need to plug a 5 port Ethernet switch. From the switch you can then run a cable to the TV box, any cabled devices like a PC and a wireless access point to give you WiFi. VM will only do their coax for the TV box, none of the other cabling. Before you ask, you could have another VM hub in the garden room, but this would require another account and two monthly payments, so it’s not practical. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2