Menu
lynneleggatt
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

T3 timeouts, slow wifi

Hi, intermittent WiFi slowness (down to 1mb) and poor connectivity. Logs show T3 timeouts, built in router analyser said 'Your home network had a few problems’Screenshot_20181126-184834.jpg

Screenshot_20181126-184903.jpg

Screenshot_20181126-184809.jpg

Screenshot_20181126-184824.jpg

Screenshot_20181126-184933.jpg

Any advice welcome please 😊

0 Kudos
lynneleggatt
Joining in
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: T3 timeouts, slow wifi

I've checked wired connection and the results are similar. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Heather_J
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello lynneleggatt, 

Thanks for your post 🙂

Sorry for the connection problems. I've just taken a look and everything looks normal at the moment from our end. I can see 9 time-outs but you've been online for 14 days without a reboot so those numbers are not that concerning. Does this fault affect your hard-wired connection or just the wireless?

Catch you soon, 

Take care. 

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
lynneleggatt
Joining in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi, get 87mb wired and it's pretty consistent so just seems to be wifi. Did speed test 1m from router over wifi only got 40mb.

Any tips for improving WiFi connections? 

Thanks 

0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

What wireless device are you testing the speed with?

Are you connecting to the 2.4GHz or 5GHz band?

0 Kudos
lynneleggatt
Joining in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi, Laptop, same device as with wired. 2.4.

0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

What is the make\model of the laptop?

40Mbps is a reasonable speed for a single stream wireless device on the 2.4GHz band

0 Kudos
lynneleggatt
Joining in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

It's a 5 year old Asus. My main concern is when WiFi drops completely or down to <1mb. If this happens is there any easy solution or do we need to reboot  or change channel? 

Do other routers provide a more stable wireless connection? (quite a general question I know but just interested if people have had similar issues which have been resolved by using a different router) 

Thanks 

0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Wireless reception is affected by many factors like Range, Client hardware, the number of simultaneous connections, the Topography of your home, and the big killer, Wireless interference.

Wireless has to obey the laws of Physics which will be the same, regardless of ISP. All wireless routers have to comply with power transmission laws as well. Most ISPs standard kit is basic entry level devices and pretty much inferior to higher quality routers, which of course come at a premium.
No ISP will guarantee wireless speeds due to the many variables outside their control.

You can try and improve your wireless signal.
I would ensure the Hub is placed in a central, open position, away from obstacles and electrical devices.

Changing the wireless channel can help avoid interference, especially on the narrow 2.4GHz band. Downloading a wireless scanner like InSSIDer for Windows or WiFiAnalyser for Android would help by showing you the surrounding wireless networks, the channels they are broadcasting on, and their signal strengths, so you can select the best wireless channel.
Bear in mind that the wifi scanner will not show interference from other sources of wireless interference such as A\V streaming devices, Baby monitors, Chordless phones, Microwave ovens, Plasma TVs, Security systems, etc.

Setting the Hub's radio setting to 300Mbps (or 40Mhz channel) is not advised on the 2.4GHz band as it takes up over half of the available spectrum, making it prone to wireless interference..

The 5GHz band is wider and less prone to interference, albeit with a shorter range.
You could look at getting a dual band USB dongle for the laptop and disable the laptop's wireless.

Sorry, there is no easy answer due to the many variables associated with it.

0 Kudos
lynneleggatt
Joining in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Understood, thanks for the detailed response. I will try to move things around. It's just strange that it's only a recent thing and we haven't moved the router or obtained any new devices. 

Thanks again. 

0 Kudos