cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching from Sky to Virgin

Ade_Hall
Joining in

Hi, I signed up for Virgin broadband and TV in July via a salesperson knocking on my door. I told him I was under contract with Sky until January 2023 but he said this wasn’t an issue, the contract could be cancelled and Virgin would pay any cancellation fees. Virgin was cheaper and I wanted to save some money so agreed to switch and everything would be handled by Virgin. I’ve since noticed I’m still being charged by Sky for the TV (broadband swapped over), so I rang them only to be told that the TV can’t be cancelled and I will have to pay until January 2023. I rang Virgin who said they couldn’t switch the TV and I needed to ring the sales guy who came to my door. I’ve rang him and texted several times but no answer. So I’m now paying double (nearly £200 a month) and feel conned and cheated. How can I get this resolved?

8 REPLIES 8

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Are you within the 14 day cooling off period for VM?  If so, cancel VM ?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

No, I didn’t realise Sky were still taking the subscription until the next month, been 6 weeks now.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Do you have anything from the Rep that proves what you were told?

If not it will be a hard journey - but its still mis-selling by a VM employee. You have the number that should be enough to trace/prove that it was a VM employee at least. You should get some pointers on here from others more qualified to point out your legal options.

In the meantime I will ask for VM to comment to you on here. But keep us posted on any progress either way

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

I’ve still got his calling card with name, contact details and even a photo, but no proof of what was discussed/agreed.

@Ade_Hall wrote:

I’ve still got his calling card with name, contact details and even a photo, but no proof of what was discussed/agreed.

Although I have no doubt that your account is true, ultimately it will come down to your word against his - although there have been a handful of posts on here claiming similar things. I don't believe that VM have EVER has a policy of paying off existing contracts from other suppliers, I doubt it is economic to do so unless the contract only had a month or so to go.

Honestly I think, you are one a hiding to nothing with this one, although it might make you want to think very, vary carefully about continuing with VM once your minimum term contract is up.

Hi @Ade_Hall,

Thank you for your posts and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I'm so sorry to hear that there's been some kind of mistake regarding the cancellation of services with your previous provider and joining us. We would recommend that the customer cancels their services with any other provider as we wouldn't do this, and would only communicate with them if you requested to have your landline number transferred across from them.

So that we can take a closer look at what's happened here and investigate, I'm going to send you a private message in a few moments. Please respond to this when you can and we'll proceed from there with this.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

@Zach_R wrote:

Hi @Ade_Hall,

Thank you for your posts and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I'm so sorry to hear that there's been some kind of mistake regarding the cancellation of services with your previous provider and joining us. We would recommend that the customer cancels their services with any other provider as we wouldn't do this, and would only communicate with them if you requested to have your landline number transferred across from them.

So that we can take a closer look at what's happened here and investigate, I'm going to send you a private message in a few moments. Please respond to this when you can and we'll proceed from there with this.

Thanks,

Well I’m not 100% sure that the word ‘mistake’ is appropriate here, but let’s give VM the benefit of the doubt, shall we?

Will Zach, or another member of the forum team, categorically state here that VM will pay off existing third party contracts, or indeed, as I suspect, this was simply a ploy by a salesman (not necessarily a VM employee, but rather a contractor - not that this legally matters) to get a sale logged against them and any fallout is someone else’s problem?

Personally, I don’t think we’re going to get a proper answer to this question!

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Ade_Hall,

Thank you for getting back to me via private message so we could take a closer look at what's happened and address everything. I'm glad that we've been able to reach a resolution.

Please do let us know if there's anything else that we can assist you with.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!