Menu
Mfowles80
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Superhub3 is garbage, thinking of cancelling

Just had my install,  thinking of leaving already. You  can't keep the same IP as my old router, so I need to change the devices with statics like my CCTV andasecurity devices. Great start. Want to set a DHCP reservation, ensure you've got time, took 10 minutes to bring up a list of my connected devices, seems this device is only useful for small homes and not really useful for anyone with any real tech. I'll have to read more about putting it into modem mode and getting my own if I'm to stay but then that will be an expense I wasn't planning. A side note which I knew before ordering is the slow upload of all virgin virgin packages, why do they do it, surely they could manage 10-15% of download speeds, rather than their current 6%, or at least let people choose how to break it up, uploading pictures will be the same speed as my previous broadband but the download is now 10 times what it was, weird. Also as virgin are installing fibre in my location why do they bother with the whole coax, just give me fibre all the way to the router, would make sense stability and speed wise, wouldn't then require 2 power sockets.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
chenks
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Superhub3 is garbage, thinking of cancelling

even with the full fibre network you still wouldn't get fibre to the router. you'd get fibre to the end point in your house (which would also need a power supply), and then coax to the router.

just put it into modem mode and get your own router, solves all your problems.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Upload speed has more to do with DOCSIS Broadband standards than VM not providing it. All cable Broadband systems throughout Europe operate to these standards. Upgrades to the latest 3.1 standard plus the further bonded upstreams it brings should see a vast improvement.

Fibre to premises converts to coax at the customers property, as the same kit (& standards) are used for FTTP & HFC. HFC is quite capable of 1Gbps download speeds. FTTP just improves the new network build costs for VM.

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Maximum upload is 20Mbps on VIVID 350 but not in all areas, there is 35Mbps upload coming later this year but again not in all areas.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
jpeg1
Trouble shooter
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@Mfowles80 wrote:

... seems this device is only useful for small homes and not really useful for anyone with any real tech. ...

Yes, that's fair.

Giving every customer a top rated router would be a waste and unnecessary expense for many users. So everyone gets a basic minimum-cost router and can add something better if they want or need it. 

0 Kudos