cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Superhub - just stopped working in modem mode.

UnHappyBunny999
Up to speed

As per title. Lost internet yesterday - despite blue light on SH being on. After much messing around and 2 attached screenshots, and a bizarre exchange with Tech Support who said they could "see" my modem  was on the network, but couldn't access it, a new (and admittedly due) replacement SuperHub is being sent out.

Meantime I discovered that if I switch Superhub out of modem mode into "Regular" mode, it seems to work. Hence my posting this 🙂 

Now I struggle to believe that the delicate electronics inside the SH can mysteriously stop working in one particular mode. Which means I am worrying that when the new SH arrives, it won't fix the issue. Anyone else experienced this ?

Screenshot from 2021-02-13 16-56-27.pngScreenshot from 2021-02-13 17-02-43.png

17 REPLIES 17

So Superhub arrived - amazingly the combination of Yodel and Virgin was not as bad as you'd expect.

All plugged in, and up & running in modem mode (hence my being able to post).

Many thanks to all for suggestions. Stay safe.

One year to the day almost and here I am finding this thread. I've got the same situation - SuperHub 3 has been happily working in Modem mode since January 2021 when I bought a separate router with huge WiFi coverage.  Suddenly it just stops working.  Switch it to Router mode and we get green lights everywhere and internet and (poor) Wifi.  Switch it back to Modem mode and the front is just one red light and doesn't work.

Technician has been out once, replaced some item in a socket in another room then promptly left. Said he'd call back to check the "fix" worked - it didn't and I doubt he's going to call back.  I think I'll just try to get a new SH3 sent out.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
If Ethernet works in router mode then the hardware is fine for modem mode what firmware is on the hub?

Change to modem mode then power off the hub for 2mins connect only a PCand power on the hub wait 5mins then unplug replug the Ethernet cable to get internet if nothing run Wireshark with filter before you start it and after the unplug replug the Ethernet cable:
port 68 or port 67 or arp
https://www.wireshark.org/

---------------------------------------------------------------

I THINK I might have got it fixed yesterday... but still not sure about one thing....

First, the fix, which I found somewhere on the internet is that the internal router I'm using for WiFi needs to be booted, up and running BEFORE the Superhub.  The Superhub apparently only declares some parameter / setting / address to whoever might be listening during the boot process. So if the hub is already running, when you boot the internal 3rd-party router, then the Superhub never tells it this address so it don't work.  Apparently once the address/setting has been given to the internal router it will retain it after reboots.  I will test that at some point, but just for now I don't want to break it again. Been unable to log into work for 2/3 of a day.

The one thing that still concerns me is "What lights are meant to show when in Modem Mode?"  Obviously the WiFi light should not come on, but my SH3 is only showing the bottom light in red.  No green-arrows showing internet connection.

SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@psyFungi wrote:

The one thing that still concerns me is "What lights are meant to show when in Modem Mode?"  Obviously the WiFi light should not come on, but my SH3 is only showing the bottom light in red.  No green-arrows showing internet connection.

VM describe the modem mode light as "Magenta" I think, but red is close enough and there is only the one bottom light on when in modem mode.  If you get a red light when in router mode it may be overheating.

My setup: VM TV 360 box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@psyFungi by what you describe it could be that your WAN IP has changed and/or you have been moved to a different CMTS. When you go to modem mode either the first time or you change your own router, all your own equipment must be powered up and fully initialised before the VM hub is power on. The VM system, possibly the CMTS, keeps a record of your equipments MAC address, that why the above sequence must be followed. I have had 3 different routers of my own and have had to do this each time.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Thank you Tudor, the boot sequenced worked, you say it also worked for you previously, so I think I've got a reproducible fix now. Great.

As for the lights, people suggesting its overheating? Well.. its doing its job. It's in a well-aired position on top of a bookshelf, so I'm just going to leave well enough alone.

Thanks to everyone who has commented

Hi psyFungi,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community. 

I'm very sorry to hear you were having issues with your hub. 

I'm glad this all seems to be working for you now. 

If you have any further issues with this then please do reach out to us. 

^Martin