cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Superhub - just stopped working in modem mode.

UnHappyBunny999
Up to speed

As per title. Lost internet yesterday - despite blue light on SH being on. After much messing around and 2 attached screenshots, and a bizarre exchange with Tech Support who said they could "see" my modem  was on the network, but couldn't access it, a new (and admittedly due) replacement SuperHub is being sent out.

Meantime I discovered that if I switch Superhub out of modem mode into "Regular" mode, it seems to work. Hence my posting this 🙂 

Now I struggle to believe that the delicate electronics inside the SH can mysteriously stop working in one particular mode. Which means I am worrying that when the new SH arrives, it won't fix the issue. Anyone else experienced this ?

Screenshot from 2021-02-13 16-56-27.pngScreenshot from 2021-02-13 17-02-43.png

17 REPLIES 17

SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What device do you have connected to the hub when it is in modem mode?  If it is a third party router then maybe that router is where the fault lies.  Have you tried connecting a single PC to the hub in modem mode?

My setup: VM TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I deliberately and specifically made sure only my laptop was plugged into the Superhub.

I did that before I called tech support, knowing that would be the very first thing they'd try to blame.

Are you using the correct ethernet socket on the Hub?

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Yup.

Was you using your laptop before in modem mode or do you have a router? if you was using a router before did you use the MAC clone option?

To allow for a new device in modem mode turn off the hub for 2mins when you turn it back on unplug replug the Ethernet cable to get a new WAN IP.
---------------------------------------------------------------

1) I have always used my Superhub in Modem mode. The only time it ever ran in Superhub mode was to switch it to modem mode.

2) The WAN out from my Superhub went into my main Router. From there all my home network accesses the internet.

3) Saturday PM, all devices on network suddenly lost the internet.

4) Backtracing the fault, I isolated the Superhub not accessing the internet (despite having the blue light on the top).

5) At that point I was connected into the Superhub in Modem mode directly. I was able to see the network logs and the error I posted.

6) I called VM tech support. Agent agreed I was due a new Superhub. They were also sure that for reasons they couldn't explain Modem Mode was "broken" in my Superhub. They said they could see my Superhub was online, but unable to access it.

7) Because waiting till Tuesday would be a PITA, I reset the Superhub to factory settings as a final Hail Mary.

😎In Superhub mode, could access internet.

9) Switched back and forth between Superhub mode and Modem mode. Enough to determine that I can access internet in SH mode, but not in MM

10) Because I now have a limping along home network, I'm not inclined to try out any procedures that involve long waits at the moment. I will bear them in mind if the new Superhub (which doubtless won't arrive till far too late tomorrow) looks like playing up too.

Many thanks to all for comments and suggestions.

p.s. I didn't use the MAC Clone option on my router when I set it all up those years ago. If memory serves it was needed way back when, but not with Superhubs.

When you have your SH2 in modem mode with the PC connected, what IP address does the PC get? Is it a WAN address?

If you perform an IP release/renew cycle on the PC what happens?

If you have a WAN IP address what does a tracert show (to an IP address rather than a DNS name)

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
run Wireshark on your laptop with the hub in modem mode with this filter before your start the capture.
port 67 or port 68 or arp
https://www.wireshark.org/

---------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the suggestions. If the new Superhub doesn't fix the issue, I'll carry on digging.

Just to note once the Network Logs say there's no connection, then there's no connection. Certainly not a usable one at the transport layer.