cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Superhub 3 internal network address

gingfuzz
Joining in

I have currently just had virgin out into my address and to my dismay I have found I can not change my internal ip address for the network in the superhub 3. I have always detested using default setting in any router I have bought or have used. I have my whole network manually set with ip addresses, I don't like using the range 192.168.*.* is there anyway of changing the setting to match all of my already set ip addresses across my network?

many thanks

233 REPLIES 233

On Horsey's screen, the fact that he could change the numbers (IP address) from 192.168.0.10 (which is what you'll see first time) to 192.168.2.17 indicates that your are on 608 firmware. If you can't change the numbers then on the VM screen, go to ADMIN/INFO and it tells you your firmware version there.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

@Sephiroth wrote:
Look at the difference between your screen and Horsey's screen and that's what you change.....

Eiuuuuu! -  don’t change CPE’s or LEASE and 192.168.0.xxx becomes  192.168.2.xxx. (Viz “xxx” the 4th low order octet of decimal address stays the same!) 

Errr 2nd box in from the RIGHT ONLY perhaps?

Lesson for me:  “brevis esse laboro, obscurus fio “ so never assume an user that want’s to change their subnet actually knows what they’re doing (or why they’re doing it? “Need it for work” is not descriptive of requirement or purpose for change in any useful context! ) 

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
DEFROCKED

That's brilliant, thank you.

Does this change the IP address that is the IP address of the super hub that is location detectable? or the IP address that your devices around your home log into?

Regards

JD

It seems that it's not possible to have a subnet of 192.168.1.X

Is that the case?

If so, what a steaming pos the SH3 truly is.

Stephen.

@Engineer1 wrote:

It seems that it's not possible to have a subnet of 192.168.1.X

Is that the case?

If so, what a steaming pos the SH3 truly is.

Stephen.

The reason for this is that, without intelligent foresight, VM assign the guest WiFi network to the 192.168.1.1 range.  So it is a reserved range.

That will **bleep** off all those moving to VM with static IP devices in the 192.168.1.x range!

Yes indeed. I am very much bleeping bleeped off.

What a nonsense decision someone made. Presumably someone who doesn't know SH** about bleep is responsible for this bleepwitted situation.

Stephen 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Well I suppose, from a VM point of view, the less users can do with the Hub, the better.  If it was an "open" Router,  I can imagine the support calls rocketing !

If anyone has any interest in their own networking at home, put the bleeping Hub in Modem mode, forget about it, and maintain your own network with a decent Router.   As Seph has said many times, these Hubs are only a cheap, get you going device ......

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

@Engineer1 wrote:

Yes indeed. I am very much bleeping bleeped off.

What a nonsense decision someone made. Presumably someone who doesn't know SH** about bleep is responsible for this bleepwitted situation.

Stephen 

It is something the bleepwits could change in a future Hub 3 firmware but they won’t.

Engineer1
On our wavelength

Hi Adduxi,

Indeed. As message 167 of this thread reveals. There is no other elegant solution.

However, I don't agree that this is a particularly advanced function. Virgin locking it out is not reasonable, in my opinion.

I am now in modem mode, and all is smooth. Unfortunately Virgin sent me another 'We're really sorry, but we're going to be charging an extra £3.50 a month' letter a few days ago.

I neither want, nor need, a landline. I don't have, or want, any of their TV packages. Therefore I'm paying over £60 a month for broadband. That's too much. Time to leave, I think. 

Thanks.

Stephen. 

Can anyone recommend a good router that doesn't cost the earth so I can get set up and have it in router mode?

Regards

JD