cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Superhub 3 internal network address

gingfuzz
Joining in

I have currently just had virgin out into my address and to my dismay I have found I can not change my internal ip address for the network in the superhub 3. I have always detested using default setting in any router I have bought or have used. I have my whole network manually set with ip addresses, I don't like using the range 192.168.*.* is there anyway of changing the setting to match all of my already set ip addresses across my network?

many thanks

233 REPLIES 233

Today a Virgin Engineer visited, to investigate a problem with my landline. He announced that he was also going to 'upgrade' my hub, from the 2ac to the Superhub 3. No big deal, I thought, although I hadn't asked for it, and was quite happy with the 2ac. I have a few port forwards, and had the LAN IP address set to 192.168.1.254. I have several servers, and devices, on my network (ESXi server, about 5 VMs, domotics devices, WiFi APs, NAS, media server, cameras, etc, etc.)

The network here has grown over many years, works, reliably, and would need a lot of time to reconfigure for a different subnet. To not allow the Superhub's LAN IP to be changed is beyond ridiculous, and it really hadn't occurred to me that it wouldn't be a two minute job.

I followed the instructions earlier in this thread, several times. Each time I lost all connectivity to the SH3. Each time I carried out a hard reset, and tried again. Nothing worked.

In the end I pulled out an old router that I use for testing, and set the SH3 to modem mode. My system is back up now, but the old router LAN is only 10/100, so maxes out at about 80Mb/s. Therefore, in the absence of any means to carry out this very basic configuration, I will need to buy another router.

Virgin, what on earth were you thinking? And why on earth haven't you fixed this? As a result of this bizarre decision I lost two hours of my day, and need to spend money on something that I really shouldn't have to.

Appalling way to treat your customers.

Very disappointing that VM has not fixed this yet.  I eventually gave up on it and just use the VM router as a front of house network.  All the rest of my set up is on my own router (TP-Link AC750), which the VM router is set up to forward to.  I had the run a few extra LAN cables from one router position to the other to get the setup that suits me.  I also had problems with port forwarding on the VM router but this seems to have been fixed with a recent software update on the router.  This means I can tunnel all my traffic through the VM router to my own router.  I have been able to operate some devices connected directly to the VM router, e.g. Philips Hue bridge,  TV box.  Everything else is connected to my own router operating on a different IP address space.  So far I have tested externally and found working:

nest thermostat, 3 IP cameras, VNC over an SSL tunnel to my home automation system.  I also have a WD Mycloud Home NAS drive which I have not tested externally.

Thanks for the reply. I've just texted the Virgin Engineer, asking for the 2ac back. The SH3 is SH**. I bought a new router (Netgear Nighthawk R7000). My speeds are still bad - average 40ms-50ms pings (speedtest.net) and 90Mb/s download, on a 160Mb/s service.

Further research has revealed that this is a known issue, with no fix. Virgin, you charge me over £56 a month, for just broadband (and landline, which I don't use), and the service is now terrible. How can you release the SH3, when it has these two, known, significant and unresolved, problems? (Inability to change subnet, or even IP, and throttled performance in modem mode).

By the way, the issue isn't because of the Nighthawk - It is running firmware 1.0.3.24 (the one that doesn't have the speed problem!)

I know I could probably cascade devices, with the SH3 back as a router, and the Nighthawk, but then I'm into messing with double NAT, DMZ, etc., etc., etc. That's all inelegant, unnecessary, and a bodge. Virgin, your SH3 is not fit for purpose.

This is unacceptable. I'm off to fibre, from Zen. Bye bye Virgin.

I've had enough.

Thanks for reading.

Not trying to change your mind, but before you finally decide..... it is not that hard to 'cascade' the 2 routers if you can physically connect them via a LAN cable.  Especially since you have already invested in your own router.  Just reserve an IP address on the VM router, e.g. 192.168.0.2 and point the WAN IP address on your own router to that IP Address.   Since port forwarding is now working (at least on my VM router), you can forward any port to the 192.168.0.2 address and then set up a  forwarding rule on your own router to forward from 192.168.0.2 to the destination IP address, which might be something like 192.168.1.20 assuming your own router has a LAN set up of 192.168.1.x.  You own router could be set up with 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.254 as its own address.  You just need to be careful that any devices that specify a gateway (e.g. an IP camera) on your own routers LAN point to your own routers IP address.  It sounds a bit awkward, but easy enough.  This is the way I'm set up now and my speeds are good.  Ironically it also provides a slightly better level of security.

You may already know how to do all this but this post may help others facing the same issues.

I managed to change the ip.addr via the method outlined here.  One thing to note is that this doesn't change the range for addresses assigned via dhcp, but in the end I put the dhcp onto my Raspberry Pi.

The other issue I had is that despite the super fast speeds my video performance was very bad using Skype, to the point it was unusable.  After berating the poor guy in the cancellations department about the absolute crapness of the Hub3, I think I may have fixed it.  Changed the MTU on the Hub3 to 1450 and now the performance seems fine.  Smiley Happy

Hi, I am having the same issues and VM are telling me that it is set as default and can't be changed.  Please can you let me know how you changed it?

Thanks

Donna

Engineer1
On our wavelength

Hi,

I'm afraid that I didn't manage to change it. Many others report the same problem. In the end I bit the bullet, and installed a proper router, with the SH3 set to modem mode. The SH3 is a very 'dumb' box, designed only for people who want to browse the web and stream TV.

A huge retrograde step.

Good luck.

coopson
On our wavelength

I did this and it kinda worked I've got a working connection when I use a static ip on 192.168.1.1 but I cant access the super hub tried 192.168.0.1 with static IP too.

Anyone know how to do a hard reset I tried the reset button for 30 secs on 30 secs off 30 secs on again but it still got the same settings.

On firmware 9.1.116.608, you can change the IP address range. I've tried it.

If, for example, you set the range to start at 192.168.2.10, (the first 10 are reserved for Guest WiFi etc), then to log into the GUI you would use 192.168.2.1 (not 192.168.0.1).

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

coopson
On our wavelength

I managed to reset to factory only thing i did different was unplug all the Ethernet cables