cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Superhub 3 internal network address

gingfuzz
Joining in

I have currently just had virgin out into my address and to my dismay I have found I can not change my internal ip address for the network in the superhub 3. I have always detested using default setting in any router I have bought or have used. I have my whole network manually set with ip addresses, I don't like using the range 192.168.*.* is there anyway of changing the setting to match all of my already set ip addresses across my network?

many thanks

233 REPLIES 233

This is ridiculous, and clearly an intentional restriction, evidenced by the fact that the workaround was patched.

Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Again, it's pig-headedness by VM who don't even grace us with a useful comment.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

I picked up an edgerouter lite, and now my network is quicker and more stable than it ever was with Virgins hubs... And with the setup wizard it wasnt as hard to set up as i thought it would be... I downloaded the new firmware, updated the router, ran a basic setup wizard, and voila.

speeednet
Joining in

The cheapest modem/router I have seen in the UK was the creamy white "Techniclor" rubbish that Talk Talk used to give out, but even that had more facilities than the VM latest offering. A basic requirement for any router is to be able to set the ip address and DHCP range, in fact I personally feel that if you cannot do this then it does not qualify and should not be called a router, just a modem. I have items on my network at home on a 192.168.16 subnet and the DVR for instance I cannot remember the password, so will have to do a factory reset on that as well. I have no doubt VM are trying to control the way their connection is used, they already block several services and ports and restrict access to certain websites. The answer my friends is definitely not only buy your own router and operate in the modem mode, but also buy a VPN service that the router hooks up to and avoid them altogether.

maullah
Tuning in

Just had to order a Superhub 3 as my SH2 has been giving serious WiFi headaches. All my home gadgets and network kit is running on 192.168.1.* range. Is it still possible to change the internal IP range from 192.168.0.* to 192.168.1.* or not? Would someone please clarify? Many thanks in advance.

supermags
On our wavelength
As far as I'm aware, no you can't... definitely not through the GUI at least - it's set to 192.168.0.xxx by default.

I've run my SH3 in modem mode since I got it due to this huge flaw

@maullah wrote:

Just had to order a Superhub 3 as my SH2 has been giving serious WiFi headaches. All my home gadgets and network kit is running on 192.168.1.* range. Is it still possible to change the internal IP range from 192.168.0.* to 192.168.1.* or not? Would someone please clarify? Many thanks in advance.

I would inform Virgin that it is a requirement that any replacement router which they might send you needs to be compatible with the same IP range as their originally supplied model, in order to allow it to connect to your local network equipment. Otherwise it is clearly and obviously not fit for purpose (any IT professional would support you in that assertion).

It used to be possible to make that change directly using the commands given in this thread, but by all accounts Virgin managed to break that facility with one of their software 'upgrades'.

If it can't, tell them they will need to supply you with a suitable alternative such as a separate wireless router so you can run their not-so-Super-after-all-Hub in modem mode.

Andre

What about the procedure described on page 2 of this thread? Does that still work? Anyone know?

I just replied to this topic, but my reply seems to have vanished? Odd...

I basically said that the method described earlier has apparently been broken by Virgin during one of their firmware updates. I set mine a long time ago and it still works fine on 192.168.1.1, but I can't access the Admin control panel any more which is a real pain as I want to change some port mapping settings. Thanks Virgin.

I also said to make sure you explain to Virgin that to be legally "Fit For Purpose" any new router they supply has to be able to be mapped to the same IP range as your existing router and devices, otherwise it simply won't work (other than in modem-only mode). Any IT Professional would back you up on that assertion.

Andre

@andrewilley wrote:

I just replied to this topic, but my reply seems to have vanished? Odd...

I basically said that the method described earlier has apparently been broken by Virgin during one of their firmware updates. I set mine a long time ago and it still works fine on 192.168.1.1, but I can't access the Admin control panel any more which is a real pain as I want to change some port mapping settings. Thanks Virgin.

I also said to make sure you explain to Virgin that to be legally "Fit For  If you think I'm wrong, please quote the legal basis for your assetion.

Purpose" any new router they supply has to be able to be mapped to the same IP range as your existing router and devices, otherwise it simply won't work (other than in modem-only mode). Any IT Professional would back you up on that assertion.

Andre

I'm an IT professional and I can't back you up on that assertion.  Stupid as VM are for not allowing you to change the LAN IP range on the Hub 3, there is no "legally fit for purpose" aspect to that.  They provide modem mode for anything you want to do that they haven't provided for. If you think I'm wrong, please provide us with the legal basis for your assertion.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)