cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Superhub 3 internal network address

gingfuzz
Joining in

I have currently just had virgin out into my address and to my dismay I have found I can not change my internal ip address for the network in the superhub 3. I have always detested using default setting in any router I have bought or have used. I have my whole network manually set with ip addresses, I don't like using the range 192.168.*.* is there anyway of changing the setting to match all of my already set ip addresses across my network?

many thanks

233 REPLIES 233

I would guess they don't people changing it with the new firmware so if you don't reset it then it will stay at that IP just that you can't log in to the hub means VM will ask you to reset it.

---------------------------------------------------------------

@legacy1 wrote:
I would guess they don't people changing it with the new firmware so if you don't reset it then it will stay at that IP just that you can't log in to the hub means VM will ask you to reset it.

I reset it fairly regularly (good idea with any computer-based hardware) and reset it today in fact to see if the admin page would load, but still not working. My LAN IP range of 192.168.1.x is still fine though, and internet is working perfectly to all devices. Doing a tracert from my PC shows 192.168.1.1 in the routing:

Tracing route to virginmedia.co.uk [80.0.163.30]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 4 ms 2 ms 192.168.1.1
2 13 ms 14 ms 14 ms cpc16-sutt4-2-0-gw.perr.cable.virginm.net [82.46.151.1]
[etc...]

Andre

I saw that behaviour (hanging admin page) after the update to 9.1.116v, which broke the ability to reconfigure IP address range. I had mine configured prior to the update which happened overnight. I'm guessing you're not using the Superhub for DHCP as you'd have noticed that the dhcp server died at the same time, and ceased servicing requests. Static clients would continue to work fine, so the router continued to service requests on the non standard IP address i had assigned it. (Much like your situation). That's what brought it to my attention. When I attempted to login to the device, the home page was unresponsive. The only resolution was to carry out a factory reset. Subsequently, attempts to modify the network range failed.

You'll be fine as long as you never need to admin the router. If you do, you'll have to reset it.

It's a real shame that Virgin don't care enough about their customers to consider responding to this forum, or even entertaining any feedback from customers.

@nmparmar wrote:

I'm guessing you're not using the Superhub for DHCP as you'd have noticed that the dhcp server died at the same time, and ceased servicing requests.

It's a real shame that Virgin don't care enough about their customers to consider responding to this forum, or even entertaining any feedback from customers.

Yes, I use my NAS for DHCP as the SH3 was too painful to configure (45+ seconds for page reloads after every new item added, and it seemed to only store around 10 reservations before starting to forget the earliest ones) so I wouldn't have noticed if they had broken it.

I will avoid doing a factory reset in that case, and hope I never need to access the admin page.

You're right that Virgin simply don't care (or perhaps just don't have the technical knowledge to understand the problem?) as if they did they would never have shipped a router without the ability to change the base IP address via the control panel. They can't claim it's to prevent user error as there's always the factory reset button if someone manages to kill their settings.

Andre

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You can't really blame VM for using a "cheap and cheerful get you going" device. Have any of the other competitors hubs all the features you need.?

I don't think so.  It's all down to cost and it has to be low.

Many of the people who frequent these forums only use the Hubs in Modem Mode, and prefer to get their own Routers.

In all the years I've been with VM, I've never used the supplied kit as a Router, and, touch wood, can count the number of problems I've had on one hand.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

nmparmar
On our wavelength

Clearly you've not read the thread or you're missing the point. Nobody is asking for a router with all the bells and whistles, rather that Virginmedia stop deprecating the most simple functionality that was previously present, and that the vast majority of (if not all) routers supplied by other ISP's, provide out of the box. Namely, the ability to change the default network address. 

This is the most simple functionality you could possibly expect from a router, and there are valid use cases for when this would be required, and which by removing the functionality, Virgin or Liberty Global, are making their services incompatible with the broader world.

And No, I don't want to have to buy and run a separate router device just because Virgin cannot engineer a solution to a commonly accepted standard. You may forget, I am paying the ISP for a service, I am not a recipient of Virgin's 'charity'.

If I had more sophisticated requirements, I would agree wholeheartedly, and purchase a dedicated device at my cost, to meet those needs. This isn't that.

I agree with nmparmar completely. This functionality was present before. This is not a "pro" / "enterprise" setting/configuration.

@nmparmar wrote:

This is the most simple functionality you could possibly expect from a router

Quite. No one is asking for esoteric bells and whistles, the ability to set the base IP range is one of the most fundamental initial configuration settings for any router. It is core functionality, not a nicety.

I have 40+ items on my home network (and that's not especially big in this day and age of connected technology) and all of it is mapped, just as it always has been, via IP addresses in the 192.168.1.x range. A lot of my scripts and other processes have those IP addresses embedded, and it would take a LOT of work to redesign my whole LAN.

So if Virgin supplied me with a router or firmware that is unable to do something a simple and fundamental as have its base address set to 192.168.1.1, (and it's there, they've just disabled the control panel option) then such hardware would very clearly be unfit for purpose.

Andre

Which firmware version was it removed in? My hub 3 is at 9.1.88T

When I had to start using the hub 3.0 I was annoyed that I couldn't change the internal network range (my hub 2 and 2AC used 172.16.0.X~254) So I had to re-setup things to make them play nicely on the forced 192.168.X.X range that the hub 3 applied.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@nmparmar wrote:

Clearly you've not read the thread or you're missing the point. Nobody is asking for a router with all the bells and whistles, rather that Virginmedia stop deprecating the most simple functionality that was previously present, <SNIP> 

Clearly missed that one by a mile. I'll crawl back under my rock now for a while 🙂

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks