cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Superhub 3 - Ethernet not working

dalenichol
Joining in

Hello,

A few days ago I signed up to Virginmedia for broadband and got the new superhub 3.0. 

I've had the engineer round to set it up and it's now up and running, with wireless connections being fine, however direct connection via ethernet simply isn't working and my computer does not have a wireless adapter. 

I've phoned technical support and they couldn't get anything sorted, suggesting that the problem may be computer related, but I was using a competitors hub this morning via ethernet and everything was working fine. 

Technical support then tried to put me through to gadget rescue, but each time they did this, I'd be put on hold before the line would inevitably go dead, and I'm not particularly wanting to call back again.

I'm now in a bit of a predicament, as my main computer workstation, which I use for my university work, doesn't have internet access and I'm not really looking forward to having to go out and spend money on a wireless adapter which I shouldn't need, nor want. 

I've checked 3 different ethernet cables, including the one that comes with my hub, checked all 4 ports, made sure my drivers were up to date and done various resets both soft and hard. Any advice would be greatly apprecated.

Thanks,

Dale

181 REPLIES 181

I've been having big issues with networked internet connection this last couple of weeks.

Very intermittent, sometimes PC's and other devices are able to connect to the internet, and at other times they are not, yet still have access to the network in general.

Wifi if working fine, but not all my devices have wifi.

If I connect directly to the modem by cable, it seems to work, or it did last night, but anything via a secondary switch seems to lack internet intermittently.  I have replaced my switches with brand new gigabit Netgear switches, so there is not an issue with them.

A quick description of my wired network.

Everything (all RJ45 outlets including two by the Virgin Media Hub3) in the house is wired back to a patch panel in the loft, from this, each circuit is wired in to two gigabit switches, to pick up the network as a whole and the internet.

Please help, my wife if really struggling to work from home at the moment.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

At a long shot, if you have lots of connections, I have seen posts here where the Hub 3 is simply overloaded, and was solved by modem mode and a good Router.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

@amalloy wrote:

I've been having big issues with networked internet connection this last couple of weeks.

Very intermittent, sometimes PC's and other devices are able to connect to the internet, and at other times they are not, yet still have access to the network in general.

Wifi if working fine, but not all my devices have wifi.

If I connect directly to the modem by cable, it seems to work, or it did last night, but anything via a secondary switch seems to lack internet intermittently.  I have replaced my switches with brand new gigabit Netgear switches, so there is not an issue with them.

A quick description of my wired network.

Everything (all RJ45 outlets including two by the Virgin Media Hub3) in the house is wired back to a patch panel in the loft, from this, each circuit is wired in to two gigabit switches, to pick up the network as a whole and the internet.

Please help, my wife if really struggling to work from home at the moment.

It's worth checking your connection, so can you post some stats. Go to 192.168.0.1 (router mode) or 192.168.100.1 (modem mode), do not log in, click on the link "Check Router Status".
Copy and paste the Downstream, Upstream and Network Logs. Mask any public IP or MAC addresses.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

@Adduxi wrote:

At a long shot, if you have lots of connections, I have seen posts here where the Hub 3 is simply overloaded, and was solved by modem mode and a good Router.

Thanks for this response, I'm beginning to think it is indeed something to do with the modem/router, possibly being overloaded.

I disconnected a whole load of wired connections on my network the night before last, and things seemed to settle down.  All was good last night for a while, then around 9pm, network connections lost, yet still wireless working fine.

I'll do some more checks tonight.

Any suggestion on a good router to try?

Anyone any idea of the SamKnows Whitebox can work as a router?  I have one of those connected.

Thanks, I will try this tonight

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@amalloy wrote:

@Adduxi wrote:

Thanks for this response, I'm beginning to think it is indeed something to do with the modem/router, possibly being overloaded.

I disconnected a whole load of wired connections on my network the night before last, and things seemed to settle down.  All was good last night for a while, then around 9pm, network connections lost, yet still wireless working fine.

I'll do some more checks tonight.

Any suggestion on a good router to try?

Anyone any idea of the SamKnows Whitebox can work as a router?  I have one of those connected.

I personally like ASUS routers, but other makes are available 🙂  It depends on your price range really, as some ASUS models are over £200.

As for the SamKnows box, there are some bad reports of these over on the Thinkbroadband forums, from reports they are downloading gig's of data every day and breaching some users download caps.   Try removing the white box for a while and see if it helps ?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks Adduxi, I may indeed try disconnecting the Whitebox for a while, not that I have any limits on downloads, but perhaps it may help solve the current problems

darrengg
On our wavelength

It was interesting reading your issue with connectivity dropping over a wired connection to the Hub 3. I understand that an update has been push to the Hubs, but I can't find the details of it. My network now for the past 4 - 6 weeks has been dropping Ethernet connectivity. I also have network points around the house going into an 8 port TP Link port in my case. When the V6 boxes have no internet, you see a two arrow light on the front. To recover connectivity, all I do is unplug the cable that goes from the switch to the hub and within moments it is all running again. I don't have to power cycle anything. It does seem really weird and very frustrating. Have to say I'm thinking of going into modem mode and getting a Netgear router. The more I think about it, the more I think that some update has caused an issue with the Ethernet ports on the Hub and this is not any failure in the switch. WiFi works fine.

@darrengg wrote:

It was interesting reading your issue with connectivity dropping over a wired connection to the Hub 3. I understand that an update has been push to the Hubs, but I can't find the details of it. My network now for the past 4 - 6 weeks has been dropping Ethernet connectivity. I also have network points around the house going into an 8 port TP Link port in my case. When the V6 boxes have no internet, you see a two arrow light on the front. To recover connectivity, all I do is unplug the cable that goes from the switch to the hub and within moments it is all running again. I don't have to power cycle anything. It does seem really weird and very frustrating. Have to say I'm thinking of going into modem mode and getting a Netgear router. The more I think about it, the more I think that some update has caused an issue with the Ethernet ports on the Hub and this is not any failure in the switch. WiFi works fine.

Thanks for that, things seem to have been better over the last month or so, I'm not sure whether that is due to unplugging the Whitebox, or my modem router got an update. It's still a little flakey occasionally on the wired connection, but no where near as bad as it was, while wireless if pretty much flawless.  I looked in to routers, but they all seemed rather expensive tbh, if you find a reasonably priced one, I'd be interested to hear about it. I'd like to retain the wireless through the Virgin box, as I like the guest function.

Is it possible that your network devices are acting as hubs not switches?  That would essentially make all the devices on that section of network be on the same "wire".  Are all the ports on the switches "isolated" from the others?

Is some piece of equipment flooding or causing interference?  Can you remove devices, check stability, add back?  Is it a combination of devices that add the issue?

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got. Jim Elliot

I work for Virgin Media but respond here on an individual basis. No comment or assistance offered is done in any official capacity.