cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Superhub 3 - Ethernet not working

dalenichol
Joining in

Hello,

A few days ago I signed up to Virginmedia for broadband and got the new superhub 3.0. 

I've had the engineer round to set it up and it's now up and running, with wireless connections being fine, however direct connection via ethernet simply isn't working and my computer does not have a wireless adapter. 

I've phoned technical support and they couldn't get anything sorted, suggesting that the problem may be computer related, but I was using a competitors hub this morning via ethernet and everything was working fine. 

Technical support then tried to put me through to gadget rescue, but each time they did this, I'd be put on hold before the line would inevitably go dead, and I'm not particularly wanting to call back again.

I'm now in a bit of a predicament, as my main computer workstation, which I use for my university work, doesn't have internet access and I'm not really looking forward to having to go out and spend money on a wireless adapter which I shouldn't need, nor want. 

I've checked 3 different ethernet cables, including the one that comes with my hub, checked all 4 ports, made sure my drivers were up to date and done various resets both soft and hard. Any advice would be greatly apprecated.

Thanks,

Dale

181 REPLIES 181

I have the same problem. 

We suddenly lost WiFi, but still had ethernet.  I rebooted the Hub. WiFi returned, but not the ethernet. I have checked cables. Unplugged and replugged. 

Windows' diagnosis is that the cable is not plugged in. But it is. 

Is this a known issue with the hub given that a number of people have had the same problem? 

Is there any solution other than a replacement hub? 

Regards

Steve 

The ethernet is now back on. Took a couple of days, but it's fine now. 

cazamic
Settling in

I have the same issue here.  I have built a new workshop in garden and the Ethernet cable doesn't work. I know the cable is fine as it works with next doors router (they are not virgin).

I need help.  I have made numerous calls.   I have had nothing but issues with virgin for months.  I have a very week signal. (never used to)  On the odd occasion it goes green and I see the wifi light.  Then nothing works. Only when I get the orange week signal things seem to work. Its all back to front!  Every day I get kicked off catch up TV.  I have given up watching it as its just error after error.

I am at the end of my tether to be quite honest.  Please can someone from Virgin media reply call or whatever.   I have done all the resets etc.  I was advised to get a mu mimo router and set the hub to modem mode.  Before I do this I would like someone to get in touch with me.  I am pretty sure I need an engineer so someone over the phone to help.

Loyal customer here, not sure why!  SO want to switch.

alpha_guru
Joining in

Upgraded to a Superhub 3.0 last year, never had any need to try the ethernet ports until now as I was happy with wireless connections but on the previous Hub I had used wired connections. Want to use a third party router now and tried connecting my laptop via ethernet on both modem mode and router mode with no joy, so it must be a problem with the Hub 3.0 ethernet ports as the ethernet wires work fine on other devices. Tried calling customer service who said they could put me through to Gadget Rescue or charge me £99 for sending an engineer out! Neither outcome is what I was looking for, happy to have an engineer come out but not to pay for one when the issue is likely to be with the Hub itself.

Disappointed reading through this thread that this seems to have been an issue for years and Virgin Media have still not fixed it, have been a customer for nearly 7 years and am starting to consider going elsewhere with the lack of support on this issue.

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good morning @alpha_guru 

Welcome to the forums and thank you for taking the time to post. 

I am sorry to hear that you have had some issues with your Ethernet ports. 

Are you able to to preform a loopback test using the Ethernet cable, I can talk you though this if needed? 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

My Ethernet keeps dropping link...

Connection Test Results [22/03/2021 11:53:58] :
Connection Status : Failed
This adapter does not have link. Make sure the cable is connected and the speed and duplex settings are configured correctly on the adapter and link partner.
Cable Link Status : Failed
This adapter does not have link. Make sure the cable is connected and the speed and duplex settings are configured correctly on the adapter and link partner.

Then a few mins later...

Connection Test Results [22/03/2021 11:55:07] :
Connection Status : Passed
Successfully pinged Gateway address 192.168.0.1
Cable Link Status : Passed
This adapter is running at full speed.

Cable Test Results [22/03/2021 11:55:54] :
Cable Length Status : Passed
Cable Length: 0 meters
Cable polarity Status : Passed
Cable polarity normal.
Local Receiver Status : Passed
Passed
Remote Receiver Status : Passed
Passed
Cable Quality Status : Passed
Cable quality is excellent.
Cable Integrity Status : Passed
No cable problems detected.

Hardware Test Results [22/03/2021 11:56:35] :
Register Status :Passed
EEPROM Status :Passed
FIFO Status :Passed
Interrupt Status :Passed
Loopback Test(s) :Passed

Hi,

Superhub 3 issue (as all these posts have been) - installed 3 yrs ago when we moved here, all fine untill today when the ethernet connections went down, wireless fine. Powering down the hub had no effect, nor did a factory reset. Seems to me that the hub needs replaced. I cannot locate a helpline number. Any suggestions would be gratefully received, many thanks!

Hello @croftcroyne,

Welcome back to to our Community Forums and thanks for posting.

I am sorry to hear that you appear to be having issues with your service.

I have located your account using your forum details and have been unable to identify any issues. Everything looks as how it should be from this end. 

Can you expand on what is happening your side? 

Hope to hear from you soon 🙂

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Ayisha,

Thankyou for responding. I have had our current setup with a superhub 3 installed in October 2017. No issues really until yesterday when the ethernet outputs stopped working, although the Virgin wireless is fine. Fortunately I had a spare wireless dongle which allows me to use my PC! I have switched off and restarted the router, and done a factory reset neither of which has made a difference. I have used the Virgin tools online to check out the router which returns OK results. I can access the superhub admin side which seems OK. My IPv4 address is OK. 

Reading some of the entries here it seems that the issue is likely to be the SH3 hub, even though it looks OK from Virgins side! (Not sure how that works). 

Its a pain because I cannot access my wired other devices eg my Netgear NAS and networked printer. 

I was about to phone the Virgin helpline when I saw your reply.

So any help would be very much appreciated,

Kind regards,

Steve

Thanks for coming back to me @croftcroyne.

Sounds like you may need a new hub if there's an issue with the Ethernet ports. 

I will follow up with you via PM now 🙂

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs