cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Superhub 3 - Ethernet not working

dalenichol
Joining in

Hello,

A few days ago I signed up to Virginmedia for broadband and got the new superhub 3.0. 

I've had the engineer round to set it up and it's now up and running, with wireless connections being fine, however direct connection via ethernet simply isn't working and my computer does not have a wireless adapter. 

I've phoned technical support and they couldn't get anything sorted, suggesting that the problem may be computer related, but I was using a competitors hub this morning via ethernet and everything was working fine. 

Technical support then tried to put me through to gadget rescue, but each time they did this, I'd be put on hold before the line would inevitably go dead, and I'm not particularly wanting to call back again.

I'm now in a bit of a predicament, as my main computer workstation, which I use for my university work, doesn't have internet access and I'm not really looking forward to having to go out and spend money on a wireless adapter which I shouldn't need, nor want. 

I've checked 3 different ethernet cables, including the one that comes with my hub, checked all 4 ports, made sure my drivers were up to date and done various resets both soft and hard. Any advice would be greatly apprecated.

Thanks,

Dale

181 REPLIES 181

So the VM technician called this morning (Sat 23 Feb) and after running some tests he replaced my SH3 router, although he did say it was strange that the ethernet activity lights on the faulty router were flickering.  With the replacement router up and running everything, including the ethernet ports. now work as they should.  I would recommend that VM change their Customer Service script to flag that a router replacement is necessary if the power-off and pin hole reset don't fix a dead ethernet port fault.  It would save everyone a lot of time.

Hi Harryglan, 

I'm glad the visit went well and it's up and running again for you. 

We appreciate the feedback, please let us know if you need anything else. 

Thanks. 

Emma_C - Forum Team

Hi I am having the same issue here. Just had the installation yesterday and the ethernet not working. Can someone help please? 

Hi martinglake.   If you have done a power off reset and a pinhole reset and still have wifi access to the internet but no hard wire ethernet connections you have a duff SH3.  If Virgin CS try to send you to the Gadget team insist on a Router swop.  Good luck!

welshblob
Joining in

I don't think this is necessarily the same issue but I came across this thread when experiencing my issue so thought I'd post it. 

So one ethernet port connected to a raspberry pi failed on my mum's router a few weeks ago, no led lit on it although the other 3 were working ok. Reboot didn't fix so I tried a reset having backed up the settings first (fya under "Admin -> Reload and Reboot"). Eventually after 30 mins of very weird ethernet issues with it dropping in and out on one of the working ports connected to my thinkpad, then it was all back to normal, bad port was working again and wifi working ok. Only issue was the DHCP config page very very slow but eventually comes up which is a known issue/bug/feature VM provide us for free.

First time I think a reset has fixed anything on any device. 

I have now installed a TP-Link router, and set the Virgin Media Hub 3 to Modem Mode, and all is now working like a dream!

There are clearly issues with the Hub 3 working as a router, especially if you have lots of devices connecting to it.

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for letting us all know amalloy.

I will also make Emma_C aware. 

Take care

Nat

Roverspeed
Joining in

Hi there,

I just got my SH 3.0 a few weeks ago, after having my SH 2.0 for years without any issues. 

I upgraded from 200mbps to 350mbps hence the change of hub.

Problem number 1, having the SH 3.0 run in modem mode and run through my router gave connection speeds of no more than 70mbps and sometimes much less. Exact same setup with sh 2.0 gave 200-230 mbps consistently.

Problem number 2, so seeing as modem mode was causing issues I reset the hub out of modem mode. Connected my devices directly to the ports on the sh 3.0

From day one in this setup I got dropouts in the Ethernet connected devices, namely my pc, android tv box and Wi-Fi extender. All reported dns connection failure. The Superhub show them all as connected fine. Wi-Fi devices are working fine, though the Wi-Fi range of the sh 3.0 is terrible compared to my tplink router. 

Please advise? Internet access is important at the best of times, many times more important during lockdown. 

Thanks,

Warren.

Ps how can I just go straight to getting a new sh 3.0, is painfully obvious it is the cause of the problems. I'm not having an engineer out in the current circumstances, to tell me something I already know.

Hello Roverspeed, welcome to our Forum and sorry to hear that your new Hub 3 has been playing up. I've had a look at your network details and can see high downstream power levels  on a lot of your channels, the other ones are borderline reaching the high range.

I'll send you a Private Message so I can get more details from you and take a closer look. Please reply back to it so I can help.

Thanks,

Lisa

Hi there

We've had several replacements for our Superhub 3 over the years, and yet again the ethernet ports have stopped working. 

Have Virgin actually found a fix for this or are we expected to continue having new routers every few months?

I love your service when it works but this continued issue really is starting to make me wonder if I should look elsewhere for a reliable service with reliable equipment!

I'm the meantime, how can I get yet another router?