cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Superhub 3 - Ethernet not working

dalenichol
Joining in

Hello,

A few days ago I signed up to Virginmedia for broadband and got the new superhub 3.0. 

I've had the engineer round to set it up and it's now up and running, with wireless connections being fine, however direct connection via ethernet simply isn't working and my computer does not have a wireless adapter. 

I've phoned technical support and they couldn't get anything sorted, suggesting that the problem may be computer related, but I was using a competitors hub this morning via ethernet and everything was working fine. 

Technical support then tried to put me through to gadget rescue, but each time they did this, I'd be put on hold before the line would inevitably go dead, and I'm not particularly wanting to call back again.

I'm now in a bit of a predicament, as my main computer workstation, which I use for my university work, doesn't have internet access and I'm not really looking forward to having to go out and spend money on a wireless adapter which I shouldn't need, nor want. 

I've checked 3 different ethernet cables, including the one that comes with my hub, checked all 4 ports, made sure my drivers were up to date and done various resets both soft and hard. Any advice would be greatly apprecated.

Thanks,

Dale

181 REPLIES 181

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@Betanski wrote:

I too have same problem. Upgraded to hub 3 & wired it to the 5 port netgear switch which was successfully connected to the previous virgin hub that was replaced.  All cables ok , all lights on hub & switch input ok yet no hardwired access from peripherals connected.  Wireless connections, no problem.  Switch is not at fault as it was tested on a friend's non virgin hub & all worked fine.  What's going on virgin? Seems, according to numerous internet threads, that this is a far too common & known problem. 

Of course the question how is it not working?

Have you tried only one device to the switch then to the hub?

What if the device has a static LAN IP does that work?

---------------------------------------------------------------

So it seems to be IP conflict, I plug  a single device and it works but the moment I connect more than one it falls over again.

Not sure where to go next though?

@Hamsolo77 wrote:

So it seems to be IP conflict, I plug  a single device and it works but the moment I connect more than one it falls over again.

Not sure where to go next though?

I had thought this before about the hub 3 and its likely doing a MAC limit per port this maybe due to VM not wanting to support more devices.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Same for me just received SH3 wifi works Ethernet will not work, have spent so long talking to tech support and thoroughly fed up, will not do this again VM can just send an engineer.

It looks like these SH3's are crap not confidant their engineer will fix it, will let you all know if successful, worst of all the SH2 worked fine for over a year till it died.

Will ask for a SH2 back if they can't fix it. 

Simply

I have not Earthnet at all with superhub 3 as i did with Superhub 2 When you plug the mac directly into the router. I get the message Your on line But no IP address i rebooted reset the router so many times unplugged everything plugged it back in Same message. i simply want Earthnet for my Bluesound steaming device. which has happily worked no issues with the last router for a couple of years

Do you know what us even more frustrating . There is a Virgin media van who lives opposite me. The Van never seems to move, its always there. I never no whether to go knock on his door.

When we had sky. The installer gave us his mobile phone number. Said if you get any trouble at all phone me direct here. Never phone sky. We never needed to. Why I bring this up is I'm wondering are Virgin installers sub contractors? Do they work independently too? Is it worth talking to him?

Made me smile There is another Virgin Media Van in this area. He has writing in huge letters above the windscreen Van Morrison. Me him have something in Common Me thinks -:)

Joe_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello Dexxas, 

I am very sorry to hear this, have you tried a factory reset of your hub, this is also known as a pin hole reset.

Thanks Joe_F

All the ethernet ports on my virtually new SH3 died this evening.  Judging by the comments on this thread I'm in for a torrid time to get VM to send me a replacement.

I don't mean to offend by asking this question, but what happened when you turned the SH3 off, and whilst unplugged from the mains power for at least a minute disconnected and rebooted all the devices hardwired into it? Did the ports become active again? Did you lose internet connectivity at the same time?

Thanks for commenting and I'm certainly not offended.  I powered off the SH3 a couple of times and also did the pin-hole reset but the ethernet ports still refuse to come back to life.  The WIFI works as it should and connects to the internet just fine but there is no hardwire connection.  So I called Customer Services today and went through their script-driven tests just as they asked me to without success.  Then the Customer Service agent said he was passing to the Gadget Team.  Having read about other people's experience with the Gadget Team on this thread I immediately asked to speak to his Supervisor.  The Supervisor listened to my view of things and agreed to send out a Technician with a new Router.  I'm happy with the outcome but VM should not be torturing their customers by sending them to the Gadget Team in the face of an obvious Router failure.

Hi harryglan

Sorry to hear that, this is not the experience we want you to have with us. We are glad that you have managed to get this resolved. Please let us know how the service is once the equipment is received. 

Kind regards 

Chris