cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Superhub 3 - Ethernet not working

dalenichol
Joining in

Hello,

A few days ago I signed up to Virginmedia for broadband and got the new superhub 3.0. 

I've had the engineer round to set it up and it's now up and running, with wireless connections being fine, however direct connection via ethernet simply isn't working and my computer does not have a wireless adapter. 

I've phoned technical support and they couldn't get anything sorted, suggesting that the problem may be computer related, but I was using a competitors hub this morning via ethernet and everything was working fine. 

Technical support then tried to put me through to gadget rescue, but each time they did this, I'd be put on hold before the line would inevitably go dead, and I'm not particularly wanting to call back again.

I'm now in a bit of a predicament, as my main computer workstation, which I use for my university work, doesn't have internet access and I'm not really looking forward to having to go out and spend money on a wireless adapter which I shouldn't need, nor want. 

I've checked 3 different ethernet cables, including the one that comes with my hub, checked all 4 ports, made sure my drivers were up to date and done various resets both soft and hard. Any advice would be greatly apprecated.

Thanks,

Dale

181 REPLIES 181

Hi there

Hi there

I have been having the same problems with the virgin hub 3. Mobile phones and amazon fires stick connected via wifi. I had a PC and smart TV connected via Ethernet. All worked well until a couple of months ago when the Ethernet connections all stopped working, wifi remains fine.

The Ethernet cables all seem to be plugged in correctly (the ports light up) but they cannot connect to the network. I believe the problem is to do with them not being able to get an IP address assigned over Ethernet from the virgin HUB. Is there a solution to this or is it best to move to a different provider who will supply a working router?

David

Emma_E
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Snowgum, 

Thanks for getting in touch, I am sorry to see you have had trouble with the Ethernet port. 

I can send a new hub out for you. 

I will pop you a PM to get this arranged. 

Speak to you soon. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Emma_E
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Daveybdab, 

Thanks for getting in touch, I am sorry to see you have had trouble with the Ethernet port. 

I can send a new hub out for you too.

I will pop you a PM to get this arranged. 

Speak to you soon. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Hi 

This seems like the best way to get this issue resolved.

I've been using my ether net ports on my sh3 for a couple weeks with no troubles. 

I go to use the computer today, and it doesn't work for Internet. 

Diagnosis from windows says I am connected to the network, just with out Internet access. I can access via WiFi. 

What do you think? 

Ta

Dan

Hi There

After a frustrating experience with your customer service team (who surely should have been made aware of this KNOWN issue) I am also having the same problem as the above users.

Please let me know how we can fix this?

Many thanks

Paul

Hey Paul - not sure if this will help but I found that the hub doesn't like you putting all the ethernet cables in at once. Basically re-start the whole thing with no ethernet cables connected, then when it's well and truly happy with wireless only connections working ok - plug in just one of your ethernet cables, check it's working, then go with another etc etc.

Failing that, a new hub I'd say (not sure which worked with mine as I got a new one and it did the same thing as the 1st one I had but then the above method seemed to get them working ok). Now they're all working and seem fairly solid.

Good luck.

I'm relying on my Earthnet Connection To hard wire my Bluesound Node streamer. Disappointed to say the least  that it does not work. Thing is we all have the same issue here. Do you honestly think Virgin Media going to come around all our houses with another new Router. How will they tell us this problem fixed.

The annoying thing. Op me  There is a flat with a new Tennant. Guess what he does for a job. Virgin Media  His Van always outside. We are  in BH8 on google maps

...and the same problem for me. I've had no issues since day one of getting my SH3 yet today suddenly nothing that's plugged into the ethernet ports is working.This is an issue for me as my router is in an outside passage and ethernet connected into the house into a switch. I use wifi for one side of the house but upstairs is fed from a WAP, including remote lighting etc, which now doesn't work, neither does my smart TV which is hard wired, nor my steam library which is hard wired..not a good day 😞

Can i get a SH3 sent out to swap out?

Thanks

Steve

So do we have to go through the timely customer service route and not have ethernet in the meantime?

Betanski
On our wavelength

I too have same problem. Upgraded to hub 3 & wired it to the 5 port netgear switch which was successfully connected to the previous virgin hub that was replaced.  All cables ok , all lights on hub & switch input ok yet no hardwired access from peripherals connected.  Wireless connections, no problem.  Switch is not at fault as it was tested on a friend's non virgin hub & all worked fine.  What's going on virgin? Seems, according to numerous internet threads, that this is a far too common & known problem.