Menu
Highlighted
slim75
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 24
Flag for a moderator

SuperHub 3 Free upgrade

Hi, I have a Superhub 2ac, how to I go about upgrading to a Hub3, I understand this is a 'free' option.

0 Kudos
av-115
Super solver
Message 2 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Re: SuperHub 3 Free upgrade

It's not free to upgrade a Superhub 2ac to a Superhub 3. It will cost £14.99. Ring up and speak to Customer Services if you'd like to order one but personally I'd stick with your 2ac as the Hub 3 has an ongoing problem with latency. There's a 248 page thread about it here.

--------------------------
TV: XL TV + Sky Sports (V6 & V+ HD)
Broadband: VIVID 200
Phone: Talk Unlimited
0 Kudos
Andruser
Rising star
Message 3 of 24
Flag for a moderator

If you do any on line gaming, DON'T "UPGRADE" TO A SUPERHUB 3.  It is a ghastly pile of junk with severe problems with latency, dropped packets, and you'll have a worse gaming experience than a Superhub 2.  And if you do any VOIP, video calls/conferencing or heavy streaming, they're affected, so you're best avoiding the SH3.  The SH3 is afflicted by currently unresolved faults related to the Intel Puma 6 chipset, there's been no communication from Virginmedia about what if anything they can or will do, and they ignore or deny the problems.

Mind you, if you're determined, I'll swap you my Supergarbage 3 for your SH2ac. 

0 Kudos
av-115
Super solver
Message 4 of 24
Flag for a moderator

I think you have your answer OP. Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos
slim75
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 24
Flag for a moderator

I fear that you're right 😂

The problem I have with my ac is that I dropped my sub woofer on it at the weekend and it's currently held together by tape 😳

I fear it's not got long left 😞

0 Kudos
av-115
Super solver
Message 6 of 24
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Oh dear. Smiley Sad

In that case, the Hub 3 looks to be your only option. I would ring up and use the broadband faults option, explain the situation and hopefully they'll post a Hub 3 out FOC. It shouldn't cause packet loss but you will see large latency spikes every minute or so which would particularly affect online games. Having said that, it's WiFi capabilities are better than the SH2ac, so it's weighing up what you value most.

0 Kudos
Andruser
Rising star
Message 7 of 24
Flag for a moderator

"I dropped my sub woofer on it at the weekend and it's currently held together by tape"

If the damage is essentially cosmetic, personally I'd put up with the tape, and wait for either the rumoured firmware fix for the SH3, or the mythical SH4.

0 Kudos
slim75
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Thanks.

The damage is largely cosmetic but as the unit is no longer completely sealed the mrs is worried about any electrical/fire issues this may cause.

The unit is operating fine unless it is touched by one of the pets - then it shuts down (I think part of the case is pressing onto the off/reset switch).

If I was to order a SH3 and I set it up and hated it - would I be able to go straight back to my SH2ac (limited sellotape edition)? or once the new router is registered is that it?

I don't use it for online gaming (the kids may do when they get a bit older) - only for browsing, streaming amazon music and streaming movies from Netflix and am not sure what 'latency issues' affect.

0 Kudos
Andruser
Rising star
Message 9 of 24
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@slim75

Cut your losses, ask for an SH3, pay the fifteen quid or whatever to "upgrade".  You should be fine as most of the SH3 problems are with gaming.  Latency is the time taken for a signal from your computer to reach a remote server, that's how long it takes for the information to reach the game server when a game player has moved, or taken a shot.  Long or erratic latency is a disaster for online gamers, even though the SH3 issue is usually a momentary spike from say 25 milliseconds to 150 milliseconds ("long" is relative!).  For uses other than gaming, VOIP and video calling, latency isn't often important.  You might see some affects when streaming, but I suspect you'll generally be OK, and may not even notice any change.  Even with video calling you'll just see a momentary stutter and probably put that down to the wider internet.  

If you opt to have an SH3 you almost certainly won't be allowed to retain the SH2ac - it is VM policy now to replace SH2s with SH3s if a techy visits, but as soon as the technician sees yours is mangled, he ought to insist you relinquish it because of the H&S angle - it is VM's property, so they could be held liable if your house burned down.  Even if you retained the SH2, getting it reactivated may not be straightforward.

Hope that helps.  

slim75
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Andruser.

I think to keep the peace in the house that is probably the best solution Smiley Happy

0 Kudos