Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Super hub 4 upgrade query

Hi all, just received a call to say that Virgin are sending me out a new superhub 4 to replace my hub 3 at no extra cost yada yada....

I currently have my hub 3 in router mode connected to an Asus RT-AC86U (with Merlin firmware) router to improve the WiFi round the house and garden. Will I still be able to use my Asus connected to the hub 4 and does hub 4 have to be in Router mode again?

Any advice / direction appreciated.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Super hub 4 upgrade query

I would use it in modem mode but if you must run ISP in router mode you can...

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Super hub 4 upgrade query modem mode

Sorry yes i meant hub 3 is in modem mode...... wasn’t sure if hub 4 would work same way or give me other options.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Yes you can

I previously had my Hub 3 on modem mode for my Netgear Nighthawk r7000

Hub 4 came today swapped wires from Hub 3 to Hub 4 same setup as before only much quicker 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Cheers for the update. Couldn’t bear to have to re connect everything again to find poor WiFi yet again. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It's easy setup mate they even provide a little black wrench so you can get the white VM cable unscrewed....thank god they did or I wouldn't have got it off haha

My speeds currently around 600 meg or just under on my Gig1 that went live a couple of hours ago

Hoping these speeds get closer to the 1000 meg of course so I'll give them a few days for the setup to get synced in

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

General question. Why are you getting the Hub4? Have you moved to the 1Gb service? Is the HUb3 playing up? If not, was there any reason given for offering you the new Hub?

One thing I learned many years ago is if you are satisfied with what you have and it aint broke, dont try and fix it 🙂

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@BritishSeahawk wrote:

snip...

Hoping these speeds get closer to the 1000 meg of course so I'll give them a few days for the setup to get synced in

Unfortunately DOCSIS isn't like xDSL which gradually converges on a maximum, reliable data transfer rate, it works at its full speed from the start, there's no 'settling in' period.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Phone call this morning offering it. Can only assume its to try and resolve issues we’ve been continually having with fluctuating speeds and connection. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Yeah it's looking like my Netgear r7000 is a little outdated

I'm looking at the TP-Link Archer C5400X

0 Kudos