cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Super hub 3 Ethernet ports have stopped working.

Spikecast
On our wavelength

Hi,

randomly today none of my 4 Devices connected to my superhub 3 will connect at all. Tried rebooting the router and trying different cables with no joy. Wifi works perfectly on all of my devices. Looks like my super hub has given up the ghost, second time now I've had this issue with the SH3. Can anyone assist? Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Weirdly they have started working again, all very bizarre!

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi Spikecast,

You could try a factory reset. 

Keep the hub switched on and disconnect any ethernet connections, then push the reset button firmly with a paperclip or something similar. keep it pressed in for a full minute.

Wait around 10 minutes and it should revert to factory settings. You can now reconnect the ethernet cables.

If you previously changed your router password it won't work and you will have to use the one printed on the sticker on the router. You can always change it again by going into the settings

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Weirdly they have started working again, all very bizarre!

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again Spikecast,

Thanks for the update. Pleased it's all working again.

There have been a few recent posts of the hub3 throwing a wobbly, so looks like you've joined that club.

Any further issues just post again.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hi. My superhub 3 has the same issue. All 4 ports have stopped working. I have turned the hub off and left it without the mains plugged in for 20mins. Plugged it all back in. Took a while to get back online. The ports worked for a few minutes then stopped again. Getting no internet connection with any of my wired devices but wifi works fine. 

anything else I can try before attempting a factory reset. It’s a real pain getting it all the configured again. 

Thanks,

Vishaal

Spikecast
On our wavelength

Mine just started randomly working again later that day. Really odd!

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

If the ports are working intermittently then it's almost certainly a dodgy soldered joint on the hub's board, most likely between the ethernet sockets and the board, or less likely but possible could also be at the switch controller.  No amount of restarts or resets will fix an internal hardware problem, so I'll flag this for forum staff to schedule a visit (VM have stopped posting out replacement hubs).  When the technician arrives, explain, they'll probably do it anyway, but make sure the hub is swapped out.

Hi @V15h44l,

Thank you for your post and welcome back to our community forums. We're here to help.

I am very sorry to hear that you've been having some issues with the connection from your router recently. I'll send you a private message in a few moments so we can take some additional details to look into this for you. Please respond at your earliest convenience.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Same problem here.

Ethernet ports didn't work on installation day. I managed to get them working by plugging in the telephone adapter into the top port on the superhub 3.

5 days later and the ethernet ports all stopped working. Tried factory resets, power off for 30 mins, plugging telephone in and out but nothing.

Wifi working fine.

When the ports died today the Wifi also went off and I also noticed a red wifi and network symbol on the TV box but those disappeared when the Wifi came back.

Going to to keep plugging away (literally!) as I need the wired connection for work tomorrow!

Bingo!

It's a physical problem. I pulled on the telephone adapter while it was plugged in to pull the ports outwards and the ethernet lights came on.

Possibly a bad joint or short circuit when the plugs are pushed in too far?

Network diagnostics pass and wired devices showing up now 🙂