cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Struggling to get Hub 5 into Modem Mode with my Draytek Router.

mbvogeldenebeim
Joining in

I'm trying to put my Hub 5 into modem mode to avoid double routing with my Draytek.  It works fine with the Hub in router mode - the Draytek gets its IP address from the Hub (192.168.0.xx).  However, when I change the Hub to modem mode, the Draytek won't get an IP address. 

If I plug the Hub into my laptop when in modem mode, the external IP address is assigned to the laptop so I know the Hub is successfully in modem mode.  The Draytek is in "obtain an IP address automatically" mode since that's the way it gets an IP address when the hub is in router mode, but when I switch the hub to modem mode, the Draytek isn't getting the external IP address. 

I've tried to turn the Hub and the Draytek on in various order, but so far no success.  Again - everything works perfectly in router mode but not in modem mode.

Any thoughts?  I've read various messages about doing things in the right order, but so far no success.

34 REPLIES 34

You could connect the wan of the Draytek to the laptop and Wireshark to see what the:
Bootp flags
shows

note both what is your laptop MAC and the Draytek MAC when finding the info

---------------------------------------------------------------

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

All seems very strange?  I have a Hub 5 in modem mode and a Draytek 2860 and it all works.   

Have you tried a full factory reset on the Draytek and Hub ?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Yesterday I did a full factory reset and still can't get an IP address when the Hub5 is in modem mode. 

I'm working with Draytek and they are reviewing this with their firmware engineers in Taiwan.  They gave me beta firmware to try but that didn't work either.

Its can be that the VM DHCP server for your area does not like your routers discover/request I guess thats one reason why VM really wanted router mode to work back in the day.

ask Draytek to make thier router to discover/request like windows 11

another thing you can try is get your laptop to have the WAN IP copy the WAN IP, subnet, gateway and DNS to your Draytek as static with the laptop MAC and see if that works.

---------------------------------------------------------------

From experience on a Netgear that does work (if it's gonna) for a bit but will force an address change pretty quickly when DHCP thinks there's been no refresh.

Just to check, the MAC that's being cloned, that is the same laptop network-card connected to the Draytek as is connecting to the modem? If one is done over wifi and one over a cable that'll be yet another address from DHCP, I still think is the problem.
Everytime the modem is pin-reset while on the cable network it'll pick up another address, so that's 3. I don't know but I bet that flags a process to set a maximum... Release any address leases you get on the laptop or routers, they last 7 days..
Then there's the 'Max-CPE's i on the modem itself...?

Just to check, the modem status is "forwarding" when you connect to it through the Draytek? Not changed to unsupported?

Worth a shot?
NEAL