cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Struggling to get Hub 5 into Modem Mode with my Draytek Router.

mbvogeldenebeim
Joining in

I'm trying to put my Hub 5 into modem mode to avoid double routing with my Draytek.  It works fine with the Hub in router mode - the Draytek gets its IP address from the Hub (192.168.0.xx).  However, when I change the Hub to modem mode, the Draytek won't get an IP address. 

If I plug the Hub into my laptop when in modem mode, the external IP address is assigned to the laptop so I know the Hub is successfully in modem mode.  The Draytek is in "obtain an IP address automatically" mode since that's the way it gets an IP address when the hub is in router mode, but when I switch the hub to modem mode, the Draytek isn't getting the external IP address. 

I've tried to turn the Hub and the Draytek on in various order, but so far no success.  Again - everything works perfectly in router mode but not in modem mode.

Any thoughts?  I've read various messages about doing things in the right order, but so far no success.

34 REPLIES 34

As you get a WAN IP address when your laptop is connected to the hub in modem mode then there is nothing wrong with VM's DHCP server.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Sorry, the origal post was because of a mis - read!

Is there anyone in the forum-team able to get to DHCP here?
Or ask how long the "Max CPE's" count lasts.?
Or even set your MAX CPE's to 16 (eg) for Hub5 testing purposes.? Be easy enough to knock up your own config for VM (as a 5-tester)

Gwan VM, have some fun!

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@mbvogeldenebeim wrote:

I can't put the Draytek back to factory settings without my IT guys.  There was a lot of config in the Draytek. , 

<snip>

What sort of config?  Are you using a work supplied Draytek router?  It may be in a locked condition and not able to pick up DHCP?

My Draytek and Hub 5 work perfectly, but it is mine, and not supplied by an IT Department.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi NealSullivan,

Thanks for your post and welcome back to the community.

Apologies for the issues faced regarding this, can I ask has the router previously worked?

Thanks,

Kain

Not my issue soz... My Netgear took some setting up but it works cheers

I still cannot get the Draytek 2927 to get an IP address from the Hub5 when the Hub5 is in modem mode.  I have done the exact sequence of putting the VM in modem mode, powering it down and removing all ethernet cables.  I have rebooted the Draytek and let it settle and then plugged in the ethernet cable into WAN1 on the Draytek and into port 4 of the Hub5 (I've also tried port 1) and then powered on the Hub5.  No IP address to the Draytek.   (Note everything works fine when the Hub5 is in router mode).

I have also tried connecting my Mac laptop to the Hub5 when it's in modem mode and the Mac laptop correctly is assigned VM's external IP address by the Hub5.  I finally tried to use  the laptops MAC address on the Draytek but that doesn't work as well. 

So being stuck on my own, I've been working with Draytek technical support who have been examining the logs using Wireshark.  Draytek contends that the issue is that VM's DHCP server isn't broadcasting an IP address is a standard way and that I need to reach out to Virgin Media.  But I'm confused why the Mac laptop has no issue with grabbing the external IP address, but the Draytek can't seem to cope.  

I'm going to get a detailed email from Draytek explaining the issue on Monday and will post it here, but in the interim does anyone understand what Draytek might possibly mean that Virgin Media's DHCP server isn't behaving properly.  I think they were implying that since the Draytek doesn't have an IP address when it connects to the Hub5 the Hub5 is not broadcasting an IP address to 255.255.255.255 but instead sending it to 0.0.0.0.  Does that make any sense?

Thanks.

Factory reset the Draytek and ensure that you set its Internet Access Type to DHCP. Also turn off QoS.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

@mbvogeldenebeim wrote:

I have also tried connecting my Mac laptop to the Hub5 when it's in modem mode and the Mac laptop correctly is assigned VM's external IP address by the Hub5.  I finally tried to use  the laptops MAC address on the Draytek but that doesn't work as well. 

That's interesting...

Can you use modem mode with your laptop and change in Registry Editor

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{find the one with your WAN IP}

DhcpConnForceBroadcastFlag to 1 and reboot to see if you still get a IP

also cmd

ipconfig /release 

ipconfig /renew

---------------------------------------------------------------

Unfortunately - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE is a Windows thing and I'm on a Mac.