Menu
Highlighted
PaulNarramore
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Starting.

We are seriously unimpressed. The Virgin equipment was installed by an engineer on Saturday, this is now Monday, with just a useless leaflet to go with it. How can such a complicated piece of equipment require such a tiny piece of literature to work the equipment? The first problem should be the easiest. How to switch the stuff on. Press green button? Done that. Press green button twice? Done that as well. Press the green button longer? Yes, you've guessed it. Press again, and again, and again. Nothing. Switch the entire contraption off at the wall, count to 200, then switch on again. Press the green button again a few times, and the TV finally kicks in. Now we don't know whether the green button requires a single press, a double press or a long press. Navigating around Virgin. Crikey, this is a minefield. Where once two buttons could get me to my destination, now it's a lengthy maize. I also seem to get to my destination a different route each time. U-tube. Well that sounds great, that is until I try to find a video on installing oil seals on a motorcycle fork. I get the sound but a blank screen. On my computer, two buttons and there it is. We're going to call an engineer out but I can only guess how long that will be. My wife called into the Virgin shop in town and was told to telephone the help line, which is in the PHILLIPINES. I have tried to write a question in + Post a question only to be told I have insufficient privileges. You couldn't make this stuff up. If I get an answer to this that's not written in jargon, I will be surprised.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Starting.

Before trying to help can you just give a bit more detail.

What VM equipment did you have installed?
Did you get a broadband package?
What tv box did you get a Tivo or a V6?
What lights (colours, stable or flashing) are showing on the pieces of equipment ?
Did the engineer not demonstrate how it all worked before you signed their sheet to say you were satisfied with the install?

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
PaulNarramore
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I did say 'No Jargon'.

1. VM equipment? I have no idea what you are talking about.

2. Broadband package? Ys, it appears we have.

3. V6.

4. I've no idea as my computer is in a different room to the TV.

5. Yes. The installation was fine, but this information on how to operate the contraption was ZERO. "You'll pick it up, it's straight forward". A few lightning thumb movements over the channel changer and that was that, leaving two baffled pensioners to struggle with it. If we cannot get this sorted out pronto, we're ripping it out and it can go back to Virgin.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@PaulNarramore wrote:

I did say 'No Jargon'.

1. VM equipment? I have no idea what you are talking about.

2. Broadband package? Ys, it appears we have.

3. V6.

4. I've no idea as my computer is in a different room to the TV.

5. Yes. The installation was fine, but this information on how to operate the contraption was ZERO. "You'll pick it up, it's straight forward". A few lightning thumb movements over the channel changer and that was that, leaving two baffled pensioners to struggle with it. If we cannot get this sorted out pronto, we're ripping it out and it can go back to Virgin.

1. VM = Virgin Media -  & -  Equipment = What VM installed for you

4. I mean the lights on the boxes that VM installed (looks as if you will have the V6 for TV and the Hub3 for BB (broadband) + the cabling.

The V6 has an on/off rocker switch on the back of the box that is usually left on all the time.  When, it is in standby (off) the light on the top right is red.  If you press the green button on the remote once and leave it it will switch to active mode and the light goes "yellowy".  Pressing it twice will stich it back to standby and the light goes red.   It can take 10-20 seconds to wake up and be active.  It will then display the last tv channel you viewed on the TV or the guide.  If nothing shows - then you have to select the V6 as the "source" box on the TV - this should have been done  - if it hasnt, then see your TV instructions on how to change input sources to the HDMI port on the TV that the V6 has been connected too.  As you would do if you wanted to switch the TV to a DVD player

You could try and get the engineer back in to set it all up again and give you a demo.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
PaulNarramore
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Alessandro that looks very helpful. I'll need to go next door and check it out but I can see us having to call the engineer back.

0 Kudos
PaulNarramore
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Wow Alessandro, we're on a roll. We've now mastered switching it on and off, now to experiment with navigating around the contraption. Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Excellent!
Good luck.... by the way its John, not "Alessandro Volta" - thats just what VM choose to call some of the regular contributors. If you need more help/advice this is the best place to be.

--------------------
0 Kudos
PaulNarramore
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Well John I did try phoning the VM Helpline this afternoon but after fifteen minutes, lost the will to live. I'm sure it's impatience on our part as we just kept pressing the green button again and again, confusing it. Now we know 😉

0 Kudos