cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Start date and VPN questions

GaryG2
Tuning in

Hi,

I'm currently with Talktalk for broadband and phone. I am thinking of changing to VM (M100 to get faster broadband). TT can only give me about 25Mbps. VM offer 108Mbps. I have a few questions (below).

I have had VM before so cable should still be available.

However, I still have 6 months to go with TT contract (apparently).

Q1: Can I specify a future start date with VM (say 5 months from now when my TT contract ends)? To get the current good VM offer and avoid early exit fees from TT....And how do I do that? The online sign up doesn't mention "start of service date"

Q2: Which router will be supplied for M100 (108Mbps service)? VM ads just seem to say "Media router" and don't mention a specific model.

Q3: Can I run a VPN on the VM media router (to run ALL of my home network via the VPN)? ...not just VPN passthrough

Q4: What VPN protocols does the VM media Router support? (L2TP, PPTP, OpenVPN, Wireshark)?

Any info will be gratefully received....

Thanks in Advance!

Gary

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@GaryG2 wrote:

Q3: Can I run a VPN on the VM media router (to run ALL of my home network via the VPN)? ...not just VPN passthrough

no

@GaryG2 wrote:

Q4: What VPN protocols does the VM media Router support? (L2TP, PPTP, OpenVPN, Wireshark)?

Officially VM don't support VPN and unofficially VPN must work in modem mode with or without your own router

---------------------------------------------------------------

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@GaryG2 wrote:

no

@GaryG2 wrote:

Officially VM don't support VPN and unofficially VPN must work in modem mode with or without your own router

---------------------------------------------------------------

Anonymous
Not applicable

1. Installation scheduling is like nailing jelly to a wall with VM. I suggest allowing two months at least re your TT fallback. 

2  A Hub 3. However you will want your own additional router etc as WiFi is poor. 

jem101
Superstar

@GaryG2 wrote:

Hi,

I'm currently with Talktalk for broadband and phone. I am thinking of changing to VM (M100 to get faster broadband). TT can only give me about 25Mbps. VM offer 108Mbps. I have a few questions (below).

I have had VM before so cable should still be available.

However, I still have 6 months to go with TT contract (apparently).

Q1: Can I specify a future start date with VM (say 5 months from now when my TT contract ends)? To get the current good VM offer and avoid early exit fees from TT....And how do I do that? The online sign up doesn't mention "start of service date"

Alas absolutely not, VM use a number of external contractors who appear to draw lots as to who gets connected up today, if indeed anyone does. If you were to sign up today, then they may connect you up tomorrow or six months from now - who can say? Certainly  not VM?

Q2: Which router will be supplied for M100 (108Mbps service)? VM ads just seem to say "Media router" and don't mention a specific model.

Whatever they happen to have available on the day, probably a Hub 3 but theoretically could be a 2AC, 3, 4 or (if you really are unlucky) a 5 

Absolutely not, no

None at all, see Q3

Any info will be gratefully received....

Thanks in Advance!

Gary

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

With the Virgin Hub in modem mode you can certainly run a VPN on a separate router that has that facility. I use Draytek but I believe others can do the same. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Thanks for your answers.....
Re the installation, sorry I wasn't clear at all clear. I'm hoping to do the installation myself with VM posting the kit to me. Given that, can I set up a delayed "start of service" date.....or does the service just automatically start a few days after I receive the kit in the post?

Thanks.
I currently run my VPN on a second router so that would be also OK. I was just hoping to be able to use, say, OpenVPN or Wireshark within the VM router because my existing second router only natively supports PPTP or L2TP.....

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

All the VM hubs are very basic domestic items. If you want any more advanced facilities you will have to provide them yourself. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.