Menu
Daniel3000
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Speaking to technical help

Hi everyone,

I understand that VM are adverse to voice communication however I have a difficult question to ask. I'm not sure if there is a VM representative here who might be able to put my mind to rest?

It's about where in my flat the VM fibre service will enter from, physically speaking, and how well it is placed so as not to ruin my lounge room aesthetics.

The previous occupants of my flat had the VM service installed and enter through the exterior living room wall, half way up, and right in the middle of the wall between two windows. The fat, what appears to look like a coaxial) cable (not modern lite and slender fibre cable) protruding about 3-4cms before taking a turn down, then being crudely stappled along the plastered wall and stabled to the top of the skirting for several meters... Incredibly poorly placed, an eyesore and very crude.

If I sign up for VM fibre, do I get a choice in where this intrusive fat cable will be placed so that it doesn't become the postmodern, industrial chic focal point of my exterior facing living room wall?

Is it possible to have a 'point' placed on the wall, a plastic little plate and then use a discret narrow fibre cable to run along the skirting or floor edge to the ONT/router?

Thank you very much in advance,

Daniel

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Speaking to technical help

@Daniel3000 wrote:

<snip>

Is it possible to have a 'point' placed on the wall, a plastic little plate and then use a discret narrow fibre cable to run along the skirting or floor edge to the ONT/router?

Thank you very much in advance,

Daniel

All VM cable is fat co-ax, as they do not use an ONT.  (That's Openreach.)  Even in a new fibre VM install, all the internal cabling is fat co-ax.

If you are there when the installers arrive, they should route the cable to your request. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Daniel3000
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hello Adduxi,

Thank you for your reply. It's helpful to know that they only use coax. It's a shame but it is what it is.

I was hoping to be assured that if I go ahead with VM, the installer will be happy to make a new exterior entry hole in a more sensible and reasonable place, rather than the center middle of the wall? Or will they insist on using the existing hole.

Is there a way to talk to a VM representative who might be able to give me some kind of assurance?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Legend
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately any promise you will get from Customer Services will be worth as much as one from 10 Downing Street.

If you have a manned installation, rather than the self-install that VM will normally offer when there is an existing connection, the visiting technician will usually do their best to meet your reasonable requirements. What you suggested above doesn't seem too difficult.

Edit to add: is your flat on an upper floor? The technicians are not normally equipped to climb heights and that may prevent re-routing the external cable. 

0 Kudos
Daniel3000
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Yes, that makes sense... Sales people promising something that may not deliver!

We are on the first floor of the building. I guess that could be enough of an issue if they don't have ladders with them.

0 Kudos
Natalie_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Daniel3000, 

Thank you for reaching out to us here on the community and thank you to our members for your assistance. 

Our technicians will always try to adhere to the request of the customer when completing an installation but as others have pointed out there can be limitations. 

We would recommend speaking to the technician when they arrive to discuss your concerns with the current location of the cables and they will be able to provide some expectations. If at any point you are unhappy with the plan for installation, you are welcome to let the technician know and they will not proceed. 

Please let us know how you get on. 

Thanks,

Nat
0 Kudos
Daniel3000
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Nat,

Thanks for your reply. I had it installed yesterday afternoon. We had a really nice guy do the installation. He accomodated our request and made a very neat installation, so that's a huge relief.

Thanks again,

Daniel

0 Kudos
Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hello @Daniel3000,

Thanks for the update, I am glad to see that this is all sorted now.

If you need anything else from us, please do let us know.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos