cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Hub4 Modem Mode with Asus Router

Chippy_boy
On our wavelength

Hi folks

Got VM installed today (yipee!) and whilst the internet connection is all fine, I have struggled to get it working with my Asus router.

(I followed the various instructions in the forum regarding correct connection sequence etc, and have put the SM4 into Modem mode.)

Bizarrely, Asus router was showing a red light (meaning no internet connection) and saying No Internet in the admin pages, and yet clients connected to it could actually browser the internet!

I managed to fix this by changing the WAN type from PPPoE to "Automatic IP" and now the red light has gone out and it still works.

What is the correct WAN type for use with the SM4?  (PPPoE or PPTP or L2TP or Automatic IP)

I cannot find any Asus documentation which mentions Automatic IP at all, so no idea what it does and/or whether I have chosen the right option. Yes, it is working but I am quite security conscious and don't want to find I have disable NAT or other such risks.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jem101
Superstar

It is indeed ‘automatic IP’ or dynamic IP or DHCP, different manufacturers call it different things.

PPoE is for use with DSL connections, so if you use, say, BT  own router, then that’ll be the option. PPTP and L2TP are VPN tunnel connections.

You haven’t done anything wrong to reduce the security by the way.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

2 REPLIES 2

jem101
Superstar

It is indeed ‘automatic IP’ or dynamic IP or DHCP, different manufacturers call it different things.

PPoE is for use with DSL connections, so if you use, say, BT  own router, then that’ll be the option. PPTP and L2TP are VPN tunnel connections.

You haven’t done anything wrong to reduce the security by the way.

Chippy_boy
On our wavelength

What an excellent answer!

Thanks so much - really appreciate you taking the time to reply with such good info!