Menu
Simonscott1966
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Shorten Cable

I’ve been a customer for a number of years and we are wanting to move our lounge around. The virgin fitted cable runs from the wall box down one wall and over a door and is about 5m long. I ideally want to move the tv to beside the wall box so the cable will need to be no longer than 1m. There seem to be a lot of posts about lengthening cables but essentially all I want to do is shorten the cable by about 4m. Ideally I’d just get a 1m cable and leave the current one fitted so it’s tidier. Does anyone know if virgin can supply a shorter cable for diy fitment as I can’t see this should be an engineer visit. I also don’t see by shortening by such a small amount this will cause any difference in the signal output.

thanks

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Shorten Cable

you need to get VM to do this. It will cost £99 if they can't post a self-install cable
0 Kudos
sayekm
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Shorten Cable

You can do it but only if use genuine VM cable and understand the effect of cables on the the power levels. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT OTHERWISE DON'T TOUCH IT.

I spoke to a VM engineer last time they visited my house and he explained how the system works. The length of the cable and also the temperature outside affects the power levels to your Hub3. The power levels the Hub3 operates -6 to +10 dBmv.  Idea is around 0db.

If you shorten the cable, the power level increases and if you extend cable the power decreases. The winter can also increase the power level. My power level has increased about 1.5db from summer to winter.

1st thing is to log onto http://192.168.0.1 and check your power level downstream. If your power level is low around 0db to 2db then reducing the cable by 3m will increase to maybe 6db. But if your power level is close to max then reducing that cable will go beyound the 10db and then its gets more complicated and need for attenuator but we won't go that route.

The trouble you have is you don't have a shorter cable. So you need to find a VM engineer by the roadside and sweettalk or buy them lunch and get a 1m cable. I would avoid cables from ebay as they not genuine VM cables and will cause issues..Only use genuine VM cables 🙂

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
M200 Oomph - 5GB SIM + 3 extra SIM family plan - BT whole Wi-Fi - Sky Q
............................................................................................................................
Don't cry over Virgin price increase instead speak to retentions team and negotiate a better deal.
0 Kudos