cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharing a cable with my neighbour

chuu_x
Joining in

Hi! I recently bought a VM broadband package and had an engineer install it. He said the cable to our house wasn't working/had been cut so he connected to the box outside our next door neighbour's house instead. So there's now a wire going from our neighbour's box, over the neighbouring fence and into our house.

The internet works perfectly but our neighbour is only happy with us using their box temporarily. I would like an engineer to come install a wire for our house so we don't have to use our neighbour's anymore. Do you guys know if this is possible?

Thanks in advance!

4 REPLIES 4

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@chuu_x wrote:

Hi! I recently bought a VM broadband package and had an engineer install it. He said the cable to our house wasn't working/had been cut so he connected to the box outside our next door neighbour's house instead. So there's now a wire going from our neighbour's box, over the neighbouring fence and into our house.

The internet works perfectly but our neighbour is only happy with us using their box temporarily. I would like an engineer to come install a wire for our house so we don't have to use our neighbour's anymore. Do you guys know if this is possible?

Thanks in advance!

The only reason this should be done temporarily is because of your damaged drop line. Cable “repulls” are carried out by separate contractors who work as two man teams. These can operate over several franchise areas, so there is usually a backlog of work (2 - 3 weeks), & this has been exacerbated by COVID restrictions. Emergency faults (people who have lost service) take priority for obvious reasons.

Apart from having the trailing wire for a few weeks this will not affect yours or your neighbours services, as all that happens in the street cabinet is the smaller coax cables are combined into a bigger coax. As long as the levels were balanced in the cabinet at install, & then are rebalanced when your new drop line is installed in a few weeks you should not have any issues.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Chuu_x,

Thanks for your post and welcome to forums 🙂 

As @nodrogd has advised it should not affect your service, I have however located tour account and can see there are issues with the signal issues on your hub, and will need a tech to come and take a look.

I will pop you over a PM asking for some of your details so we can get this booked in for you, just keep an eye out for the purple envelope ^^

Zoie

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for messaging with me chuu_x,

I have booked your appointment in, if you wish to view it or make amendments you can do so here under help > orders and appointments 🙂

Please let us know how your visit goes

Zoie 

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Chuu_x,

Thanks for messaging with me, I am glad the repull has resolved this issue for you 🙂
Zoie