cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Severed connection - 3 month lead time to main reconnect

jsalad
Joining in

Hi,

My fibre connection was severed between the pavement access point and the brown box during some driveway works on the 23rd May. I called up the same day to action a repair and a technician was booked to re-connect us.

One month later and I have had 3 technician visits, with each stating that other works need to be actioned before they can do their bit. I currently have a 4th appointment booked, but this is scheduled for 11th August, coming up for 3 months (!!!) after our disconnect.

The current blocker is that a permit from my local council is required to move our property's pavement access point more than 3 metres along to be in line with a suitable area to run the new fibre cable. I have called up many times and every time I call up to query the status of this permit or get any sort of permit reference number I have one of two responses:

- I am transferred around to various teams (maintanence field team, technical team, construction team) who state they have no ability to help with my issue and then send me back to general support or just flat out don't answer.
- I am told the 11th August appt is not moveable, my account has a message explicitly stating this appt should not move, and that when the technical team will look at it they will get a permit actioned and then contact me to move the appt up.

I have been told several times that my permit has been submitted but nobody can give me a reference that I can chase, only an internal case ID. I have also chased the council who cannot see any recent permit activity on our street. I've had previous experience with my local council's permits, and I know they require an expected actionable date range for the permit to be granted.

My worry is that my case will reach the technical team, be requested, and then be locked in to an 11th August date because of the granted permit. My current appointment only covers moving the pavement access, meaning I will need other appointments to lay the fibre cable and then ensure it is connected correctly. It's looking like I won't be reconnected fully until at least the end of August.

This is really hurting everyone in the house as we all work remotely and require internet access. All I want is my internet sorted and I'm happy to chase externally to Virgin Media but it seems nobody wants to help me accomplish this!

3 REPLIES 3

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Read this thread.  It'll explain how things work and the options available to you.

VM often hide behind "waiting on council permits", but that's usually rubbish as most councils issue the necessary Section 50 permit in a couple of days to "statutory undertakers" such as VM, BT, water, gas and electricity operators.  

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

This may get more complicated. Virgin will normally replace a damaged cable along the same route for a nominal £25 charge. But in previous cases where the connection point in the pavement has to be moved to accommodate a driveway they have expected the customer to pay for the work.

Can you post a picture? 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi jsalad

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. I am really sorry for this experience. If we have advised of the 11th August then this would be the resolution but I will PM you now to formalise this complaint for you.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill