cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setup recommendations for Gig1?

onkey89
Joining in

Just upgraded to Gig1 and will be sent a Hub 4 in a few days, but I've seen reviews that it's better to use the Hub 4 as a modem and buy a separate router. Does anyone have any recommendations for the use case below?

I would like my gaming PC in a different room to the Hub to get the full speed. It's currently getting 120mbps via Powerline (350mbps Virgin package) in a house with very old wiring. Will I have to run Ethernet from the Hub 4 to the PC to get the full 1GB, or do I connect the Hub to a different router then Ethernet to PC, or are there other options?

The PC is also WiFi 6 capable - is it possible to get the full 1GB over WiFi? All other devices will be connected by WiFi.

1 REPLY 1

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Best way is always to run good Cat6a cable (better shielding) up to the PC. You will get ~960 from the port on a Hub4.. A Hub5 or your own router with a 2.5GB ethernet port would be needed to get the extra speeds.

The PC cannot connect on wifi6 because the Hub4 is only wifi 5 - so will max out at ~600 on wifi. To get more you need a wifi6 Hub - the Hub5 is one such - or get your own.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.