Menu
Rob1601
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Setting up with Quickstart

Hi all,

I have been asked by a friend to assist in arranging the setup of her Virgin Media subscription. We haven't placed an order yet but Virgin Media indicate it is eligible for quick start.

I've been to her new home to have a look. Here are my observations

1) The outside has a f-type splitter (3.6db and 4db out). This is at the back of the house

2) The casing is a brown virgin media branded box (looks quite new)

3) There is one cable going up to an upstairs room (she may want this in the future). No cable running in to the property at the bottom.

4) No evidence of the phone line cable at the back, but there is one at the front where the cable raises from the ground. I can't work out where the split at the minute due to debris at the front of the house. I am assuming the line may run to a different place in the house? i.e. they enter the house at different points. May need some help with this as it may very well have been cut off? This may require a tech visit. 

So overall, I will need some new cabling (2x2m) and a three way splitter in order to future proof the potential additional box upstairs in the near future. 

Does anyone have any experience with whether Virgin can provide the f-type splitter and cabling for us to setup our selves?

Many thanks,

Rob

0 Kudos
VM-Jon
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Setting up with Quickstart

let me help, have you considered just having a manned installation so everything can be done as needed? We wouldn't normally provide splitters and cabling for our customers to do their own work as this can lead to problems if not done correctly.

I am sure I can help you achieve what you are looking for though, we would just prefer to do the work ourselves.

Here to help! I'm an install manager helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hello

Th old twisted pair phone cable is no longer installed with new installs the telephone line comes down to the  Broadband hub and there is a connection on the back of the hub for the phone line. If you have an manned install you will need to ask the engineer to place a extension from the back of the hub, or he will give you the adapter so a normal phone can be plugged into the hub.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
VM-Jon
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hello again,

I have sent you a private message to get a little detail on the address. With this I can tell you how long it has been since the property had service, if its been a while it might be a good Idea to get it all checked out.

Hope this helps.

Jon

Here to help! I'm an install manager helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos