cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up problems

Suzenicholson
Settling in
  • Hi 

Ive recently purchased the self set up wifi. Im having problems as all of the sockets are in different rooms I.e. phone socket in conservatory, plug socket in bedroom and virgin wall socket in living room. Ive connected the wifi to electricity output and phone socket. 

Its activated and flashing green but internet is not connecting. Is it possible to get a connection without plugging into the virgin wall socket? 

If I plug into the virgin wall socket there is no way the router can reach my phone socket.

Does anybody have any suggestions? 

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

hub goes into wall socket - power to hub needed so you need an power extension cable - if you ordered phone then that will plug into hub - phone socket is obsolete and not needed

if that works you are up and running - if not you will need a tech to sort it - he could give you a longer cable to move hub nearer power socket

if you would like that now then you need to book a tech - plug nothing and ring and say its not working - they should send a tech

if you dont do that now and want to move the hub at a later date it will cost you £99 as a non fault call out

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Thanks I didnt realise I didnt need the phone connection. I dont require the landlines anyway.

Ive not plugged it into the virgin wall socket and electricity. 

Its still flashing green but I'll leave it the 30 mins and check again.

Thanks

Suzenicholson
Settling in
Spoiler
Now* plugged it in

you need to activate it - 0800 953 9500

Tony.
Sacked VIP

I already sent the text to activate. I called that number and they clarified it was activated.

Still flashing green 🙄

that suggest theres a problem - is that the only VM point - look for another 

not all installs have an internal box

start outside and look for the external wall box - 6" square ish usually on wall facing road or pavement - brown or grey usually - follow any cables that come from it and go inside - if there are non look inside opposite external box as they may just have drilled through wall - as said it may just be a cable rather than an internal wall box

if you find a cable you need one of these to attach the cable that came with the quick start kit

https://www.diy.com/departments/tristar-data-cable-coupler/571706_BQ.prd

if you cannot find anything else then you need a tech to sort it

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Sofia_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Suzenicholson

Welcome to the community and thanks for your post, we're happy to have you with us. 

I'm sorry to hear you've been having some issues setting up your service, I can appreciate this is frustrating and we apologise for any inconvenience caused. If you're still having trouble with this, you can find out helpful step-by-step set up guides here

Thanks to @-tony- for your assistance here, really appreciate it. Have you managed to get the service activated? Are things now performing as they should? 

Let us know 🙂 

Thanks,

Please let us know if the service has now been activated 

Sofia
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide