cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up broadband

mjay2000
On our wavelength

9FDA3853-6EC8-4D78-9EAD-C2442A32D27D.jpeg

 I am switching from an Openreach broadband provider to virgin media. My box will arrive soon, but just to check, will all I need to do is unscrew the connection to the wall and connect it with the isolator cable that comes with the Virgin media modem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thanks for the PM @mjay2000

I have forwarded your feedback to the Area Field Manager and the technician - they'll be delighted 🙂

Appreciate you taking the time out to share this. 

If you need our help with anything else, just give us a shout. 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

14 REPLIES 14

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Yes, providing the ouside cable hasn't been damaged since it was last used by a VM customer and the end in the street cabinet hasn't been disconnected.  It should be OK, but there is really no way to know until you have the Virgin Hub connected and activated.  Just in case, it's best not to cancel your old broadband contract until the Virgin connection is working correctly.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

mjay2000
On our wavelength

@jpeg1, thank you! I’m a new VM customer and I’m wondering why in the VM wall socket, there is a current wire connected to the connectors on the wall socket (as circled in red in the picture)? as we’ve not used VM since we’ve moved (~7 years) and what are the 3 plug connectors on the wall for if you know? As I’ve watched VM set up instructions and they only mention the VM wall socket being connected to the router/modem and make no reference to the 3 plug connectors on the wall,

thank you

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

The metal box with the connectors on the top is a splitter. It allows the connection of both a broadband Hub and a TV box, if you have ordered a TV service.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

mjay2000
On our wavelength

I’ve got my broadband now but it’s been flashing forever green, I don’t know if I’ve set this up correctly, can you check it? There is also black cable also protruding next to the virgin media box? I’ve even tried directly making the connection from the virgin media box (instead of splitter) to the Hub 3.0 modem but still no luck.

How long should it be on the green light for a new setup? Can it take up to 1 hour for a “software update”?

7495ABA2-A17D-4517-A25B-04D6193F.jpg

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

"There is also black cable also protruding next to the virgin media box?"
Try connecting this cable to the left hand connection on the splitter. Could be that it’s the input to the box on the wall and previous occupants have disconnected it.

Otherwise call the pre-installs team on 0800 052 1734 8AM- 9PM Monday - Friday or 8AM-6PM Saturday and Sunday

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

mjay2000
On our wavelength

Yes I tried it, like in the picture below but maybe I’ve not let it update the software properly so I did a pinhole reset, made a direct connection to virgin media box to the Hub 3.0 using isolator cable (without the splitter) and gonna wait 30-60 mins before doing anything else (such as trying it with a splitter). 

“To the left hand of the splitter” do you mean the 2nd slot (middle)? Picture can be seen below. Thanks for the help.

https://ibb.co/QHxS25P 

edit: It seems now you can view the picture in the message #5 as well, now that it’s been verified.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Another possibility is the the new Hub hasn't been "activated" properly on your account.

Call to check... on - 0800 953 9500 (option 3) – you will need the serial number/MAC address off the barcode sticker and also your account number,

Or the connection may have been disconnected in the street cab - if so it will need a Tech visit to install every thing - so try as Tudor suggested

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

I’ve tried that and it seems to already have been “activated” but whether it’s been “properly” done I don’t know. 

i have checked the cables outside my house and no cables seem to be damaged on or near the BROWN VM box, along with any cables inside the house.

everytime the V3 hub reboots it’s white for a bit, then blinks white then turns green (Wi-Fi turns on) but doesn’t get pass that. I thought maybe it’s an update but i waited an hour (and surely an update required a LIVE internet connection)… it’s just stuck on blinking green.

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi mjay2000

Welcome and thank you for posting 🙂 

We just wanted to check in and see how things have been? On checking from our side, we see you have been able to speak to the team since your last post. Were they able to assist? 

Let us know if we can help.

Thanks 

Nat