cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up a new router

cathowen3
On our wavelength

I have just received a hub3 and although I was ready to have a go at setting it up I am a bit nervous about it. There is a cable plugged in to the hub which connects to the central heating. There is a label attached to the connection  saying that it should only be used with super hub 2 and 2ac. How do I get the correct attachment?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@cathowen3 wrote:

I have just received a hub3 and although I was ready to have a go at setting it up I am a bit nervous about it. There is a cable plugged in to the hub which connects to the central heating. There is a label attached to the connection  saying that it should only be used with super hub 2 and 2ac. How do I get the correct attachment?

Not sure why an ethernet cable would be marked like that, so specifically mentioning two types of SH. A photo would help.

Are you sure the connection is to do with your heating? The power supply cable for my Superhub 2ac has a white label with blue text which reads "Important: Only to be used with Super Hub 2 VMDG485. Please do not remove this label" (which was to prevent mix ups with the power supply for the SH1 which had a different size plug).

The power connection to an old Super Hub 2ac (or 2) would be at the bottom as per diagram below.

https://www.virginmediabusiness.co.uk/help-and-advice/products-and-services/super-hub-2ac-guide/sett...

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Can you post a photo of the connector cable and its "terminal" - I assume its an ethernet cable and if so it should be fine into the Hub3. Just try it and see 🙂

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks for speedy reply.

I have not even tried to set up the hub because this stopped me in my tracks. I believe it is an ethernet cable. It was set up for me by the gas fitters. I am not very technically minded and wonder whether `I can get a virgin engineer in to do it all for me?

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
If you organise a VM tech they will come out and just swap the cables in your old Hub to the new Hub 🙂 Better to get the gas fitter back if you are concerned.

There might be an issue if your CH were on a wifi connection to the Hub.... for several reason we can explain if you are interested.

But if it is an ethernet connection directly to the CH controller from the Hub then that is the best and most rock solid way of connecting. It will be just a case of plugging it into one of the Hub ports once your new Hub is up and running.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@cathowen3 wrote:

Not sure why an ethernet cable would be marked like that, so specifically mentioning two types of SH. A photo would help.

Are you sure the connection is to do with your heating? The power supply cable for my Superhub 2ac has a white label with blue text which reads "Important: Only to be used with Super Hub 2 VMDG485. Please do not remove this label" (which was to prevent mix ups with the power supply for the SH1 which had a different size plug).

The power connection to an old Super Hub 2ac (or 2) would be at the bottom as per diagram below.

https://www.virginmediabusiness.co.uk/help-and-advice/products-and-services/super-hub-2ac-guide/sett...

cathowen3
On our wavelength

Just realised that the central heating is connected to one of the ethernet ports and connects to a small square box which also connects  to the mains. You are of course quite correct when you say that the white label with blue writing is connected to power supply. Not sure how to send you a photo but that info makes me a little less nervous about having a try at setting it up.

You should have a power supply unit with your hub 3, just disconnect the old hub and connect the hub 3 with its PSU and it should work. If you don't have a PSU call VM.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Yes I have thank you.