Menu
nickmeister
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Service not available in my area?

I currently have a virgin media package and I’m moving house soon and have checked the postcode area which says services are not available in the area?   Any ideas what I can do?  Many thanks 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Service not available in my area?

There is not much you can do except find yourself a new provider. Also if you are still in contract you will be hit with disconnection fees.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
nickmeister
Joining in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi thanks for the reply.

I am still in contract any idea what the cost of disconnecting would be?  Surely the provider needs to take some of the responsibility that they don’t offer a service in the area?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Unlikely - it will be the balance to the existing contract end date

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
jamesofmerton
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

'any idea what the cost of disconnecting would be?'
https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services/early...
the maximum is £240 but pro rata depending on length of contract left

'Surely the provider needs to take some of the responsibility that they don’t offer a service in the area?'
virgin have no responsibility to provide a service in a particular area. it would be like me moving and complaining to sainsburys why they aren't in my town. both companies are private and have no legal obligation to service any area.
0 Kudos
nickmeister
Joining in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi thanks for the reply, I do see your point about Sainsbury’s etc, however this is different as a contract is entered into to use a service, if you are paying for a service and it is not available then how are you supposed to use it?

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@nickmeister wrote:

Hi thanks for the reply, I do see your point about Sainsbury’s etc, however this is different as a contract is entered into to use a service, if you are paying for a service and it is not available then how are you supposed to use it?

and it is you that is breaking the contract, not virgin.

0 Kudos
nickmeister
Joining in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I wouldn’t be breaking the contract just being reconnected elsewhere.  In my opinion breaking the contract would be wanting to change the product mid term or wanting to cancel.  I also hear that virgin are looking to increase their prices?  Now that would be breaking the contract surely?  Example - I agree to pay £50 per month for a 12 month contract, then Virgin decide to increase the premium mid term to £54 per month, well that was not what was agreed when I set up the contract?

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

sorry, no matter how you try to twist the words it is you that is breaking the contract by moving to a location where there is no service. if you don't move then the contract remains "as is".

also, crucially, the contract you have is to provide service to the location you are at, and not to provide service to "you".

prices increases are included in the Ts&Cs of the contract.

0 Kudos
nickmeister
Joining in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Ok let me see what I can do

0 Kudos