cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Self install - no wall socket

shinxxx
Joining in

Hi there, 

I just moved to Virgin Media broadband and have opted for the self installation kit, as from what I remember the previous tenants had Virgin and was allowed to choose that option when selecting the package as well.

Now my concern is that I can’t find a wall socket with the Virgin Media logo and I checked outside and can see the below cable coming from the street drilled through the wall.

My question is if that is the Virgin Media cable and if so has it been cut?

99CB69A9-1D42-48D6-83CB-44FC0C92AE2B.jpeg

 Any help would be very much appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Your photo seems to show VM cable coming in from the street from bottom RHS of the photo and into the bottom of the brown wall box, then exiting to top LHS of the photo and through the wall.

What's on the inside of the wall corresponding to the top LHS cable?

Some installations don't have an internal wall box, just a trailing cable with a connector on the end.

May not be involved but what does the cable through the wall in the middle of the photo do and where does that go to?

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Your photo seems to show VM cable coming in from the street from bottom RHS of the photo and into the bottom of the brown wall box, then exiting to top LHS of the photo and through the wall.

What's on the inside of the wall corresponding to the top LHS cable?

Some installations don't have an internal wall box, just a trailing cable with a connector on the end.

May not be involved but what does the cable through the wall in the middle of the photo do and where does that go to?

Hi goslow, 

Thanks very much for the reply. 
On the inner side of the wall, I can see the end of the black cable and a white cable coming out of a box that doesn’t say VM on it.

FAA140FB-F456-42DA-917E-5EFC3396777C.jpeg

 Further to the right I can see another greyish cable hanging from the wall but this one seems cut: 

D0B32100-EDCC-4104-87D3-E67FAB52F761.jpeg

 I also found another cable that was just sitting there, but not sure if it’s relevant: 

0A21DF0D-905C-46F0-8360-8F0614B0CD20.jpeg

 Apologies for the bad quality on some of the images.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The white cable looks to be the one you need.  The other ones in that photo look like Sky. so they are no good.  The rest you can ignore.

You will need one of these to connect the Quickstart cable to that existing white cable end. https://www.diy.com/departments/slx-f-type-satellite-cable-coupler/5028422001905_BQ.prd

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Very hard to see too much detail from the photos. The white wall box looks like one from the former cable TV companies which VM acquired.

Does the black cable from outside go into the back of that white wall box? The white cable coming from the bottom of that white box may be relevant. It looks the same as my own NTL wall box.

On the bottom underside edge of that box, is there a connector sticking out of the bottom of the box which the white cable is connected to?

If so, unscrew the white cable and try connecting the cables from the Quick Start kit onto that connector (I believe the new cables are push fit on whereas old connectors have to be screwed on/off).

If no connector, you might have to try that splitter thing under the white box but can't see that too clearly in the pic.

If I'm on the wrong track, someone else will give other suggestions.

Edit: Pic below of my own NTL box. My VM hub is connected to the 'TV' socket sticking out of the bottom edge of the box.

NTL wall box