cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Self install kit

JohnGW75
On our wavelength

After receiving a self install kit, I assumed it would have everything it required, it didn't have the cable to go from the internal wall box to the router, luckily I had one from a previous install, although it is very short, so I have it balanced on a radiator with a 15m ethernet cable, just to setup the BB, so my questions are.

Should the cable have been included in the kit and if so what length?

How do I go about getting a long(er) cable in order to put the hub where it should instead of balancing on a radiator (rad currently turned off) and do I need an isolator as it did last time I was with vm.

4 REPLIES 4

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The longest cable VM provides is 3 metres (with a built-in isolator). Anything else is non standard & requires a tech to come out & make up the cable. This is because any significant change to the internal cable runs may require adjustments in the cabinet to maintain optimum levels at the property.

Any callout to do this would be free if it is instigated within a few weeks of the self install date. Beyond this you are looking at a charge of £25.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Sofia_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @JohnGW75

Thanks for your post 🙂 

I'm very sorry to hear this, I appreciate this is frustrating and we apologise for any inconvenience caused. 

I'm glad to see nodrogd was able to advise you on this. 

If you'd like us to get the call out booked in for you, please let us know. 

Thanks, 

Sofia
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

JohnGW75
On our wavelength

Self install kit was done on Oct 23rd and I've been busy with work since, is it too late for the free visit?

Hi JohnGW75 thanks for getting back to us.  

I would love to look into helping you resolve your installation issue.  I am going to send you a private message.

Regards

Lee_R