cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Self install kit but no wall socket

Ldb2424
Tuning in

Hi. I recently moved house and arranged a virgin media self install kit to be delivered per suggestion, but trying to install it seems I don't have the correct wall socket... Guess I need an engineer to install one but I can't get through to speak to anyone to arrange - can somebody help please....

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Its a good idea to look around & see what you have got, as you would not be offered quickstart unless there are records of a previous installation at the address.

Start outside & look for the incoming cable from the cabinet. This is likely to be a dual cable coming out of the ground & entering a brown or grey box on the wall. Wiring from this will either go straight through the wall or exit the box & go to other locations. It may even be that the internal socket was removed & just a wire left.

If there is no evidence of external wiring then Customer Services need to know this as it makes the re-install job a whole lot bigger than just restoring the internal wiring.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Sometimes there is a wall socket with the logo of one of VM's predecessor companies such as NTL or Telewest, in which case you should connect to it.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

There's a grey BT box outside and brown, rather old looking box full of spiders...

Inside the only connections I have are a BT box with ethernet and phone/VHF.

I pulled out a disused looking technetix cable with 'forward path attenuator' written on it.

There are no other internal boxes available

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Ldb2424 wrote:

There's a grey BT box outside and brown, rather old looking box full of spiders...

Inside the only connections I have are a BT box with ethernet and phone/VHF.

I pulled out a disused looking technetix cable with 'forward path attenuator' written on it.

<snip>

The old brown box was the VM one and the cable with the FPA fitted.  It sounds as if the previous owner has disconnected the cables?   You will need to phone up and get a manned install.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Ok thanks. Do you know which number to phone? The number I tried is automated and confirms my postcode then tells me there should be no issues with set up and hangs up...

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Ldb2424 

Try the pre installation and delivery team on 0800 052 1734

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali