Menu
kartingfun
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Self Install - Which wall port connection?

Hi all. I'm a returning customer so opted for self install. Kit arrived Thur, Activation text Friday but not getting a connection and am unsure which connection I should be using on the Virgin wall plate.

I have a push connection to the left. This had a terminator screwed onto it which I have removed (this is the lump on top of the wall plate in the photo) and was able to connect the red ended cable fine.

However, there is also a cable running from the right. This has a screw connector but will push into the same cables or could screw onto the hub directly.

Anybody able to help with which connection I should be using? Cheers

Pre-existing cable endPre-existing cable endWall portWall port

0 Kudos
sayekm
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Self Install - Which wall port connection?

The white wall box has a splitter inside. So 1 connector to internet and other for TV.

If you only have 1 service they would fit a terminator on the 2nd to prevent noise.

1. Remove the redband(quickstart) cable from the socket and screw the terminator back how you found it.

2. Unscrew the cable you holding in your hand from the wall and connect the redband cable on that socket.

You could in theory connect the cable in your hand direct to the router but i can't tell if there is isolator in that wall socket. But your quickstart red band has a isoloator on the cable.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
M200 Oomph - 5GB SIM + 3 extra SIM family plan - BT whole Wi-Fi - Sky Q
............................................................................................................................
Don't cry over Virgin price increase instead speak to retentions team and negotiate a better deal.
kartingfun
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for this. More confident in the connection now. Still getting green flashing lights but that’s tomorrow’s fun!
0 Kudos
kartingfun
Tuning in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

So to wrap this up, the cable to the right in the photos was actually a power cable that needed to have a plug end attached and to be plugged into mains to power the outside box - something to do with the difference in having fibre or copper to your house - but don't quote me on that! Engineer was carrying a spare so sorted it in 2 minutes and everything sprang into life.

Can only assume the plug was returned with the kit.

0 Kudos