Menu
Rossmate81
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

See camera's from mobile data

I am unable to watch the camera's on my house when I'm not connected to the WiFi, I never had this problem when I was with bt but since joining virgin I am unable to do this. Do I need to change some settings in the router? Any help would be most appreciated 

0 Kudos
Z92
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: See camera's from mobile data

It depends how the cameras connect to your network and whether or not they have access to the internet. 

What kind of cameras are they ? 

Typically you never want to allow access to internal cameras from the internet, as even if they are password protected, the mechanism is often weak and people can bypass such restrictions easily. Not only does this mean that unauthorised people can watch your cameras but it can also mean the same people could attack other equipment in your home such as smart plugs, hive heating, hue lighting, or even your PC if it's switched on. 

Timwilky
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

When I  discovered my cameras were talking to a dozen servers in China. I firewalled out that access. In order to connect to them from outside I use an openvpn connection from my phones.

Seriously check where your devices talk. Cameras use a cut down Linux. Don't create holes that enable remote access into your home.

VM Network - Timwilky
Rossmate81
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi thanks for your replys guys! 

I'm wondering if it is the router at all, I have a ring door bell and I am able to see them on mobile data?? May be a setting on the camera system? I have a Swan system with 4 cameras around the outside of my house, dvr in the loft and linked to the router via a ethernet cable but the ring equipment is WiFi. 🤷‍♂️ I'm not into computers so I have no idea about where my info could go or if it is being hacked, all I know is I can't see my camera's and the kids x box's work. I'll try and look at the camera settings, not sure what to look for, I just thought they would work as they are connected the same way as when we had bt.

Thanks again for your help

0 Kudos