Menu
sijones
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Second broadband connection to exterior box?

I've been a customer since 2007, and my network hasn't changed since then. The installer fitted a (Nynex) box on the front of my house, and ran the TV cable straight through the front wall to the Virgin TV box on the other side of the wall in the downstairs front room - a nice short connection.

He then ran a broadband cable from the Nynex box right across the front of the property, through a wall and a ceiling, to the modem (now Superhub) in my front bedroom / study. This was a pretty long run. This set up has served me well so far.

Fast forward 12 years: now I'd really like a reliable hard-wired ethernet connection in my downstairs front room, in the general area where the TV box has always been. It seems perverse (and frankly, a royal pain) to run an ethernet cable all the way back from the Superhub, retracing the broadband cable's path (now much more difficult, having decorated and laid various carpets), to a spot a few inches away from the exterior Nynex box.

Is it possible to run a second broadband connection directly from the Nynex box on the exterior of my house? I appreciate I'd need some hardware on the end of it to turn the signal into something usable (a second modem / Superhub?). I also appreciate I'd need a Virgin engineer to do this, and that I can't go faffing about in that Nynex box myself.

(To save time, I should make it clear I'm aware of options using wifi / powerline to get broadband into the downstairs front room, and I know my way around setting those up. Neither cut it for me, so let's rule those out of the discussion - I already have them).

Many thanks for any advice,

Simon

0 Kudos
chenks
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Second broadband connection to exterior box?

yes it is possible.
you'd need to request a engineer visit to re-cable, but it'll cost you £99 for the visit.
0 Kudos
sijones
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Chenks - but just to be clear, as you mentioned recabling: I'm not looking to move my current modem/Superhub, I want to add a second one in an additional location (to save running a hugely long ethernet cable from the main modem/Superhub). Is that what you're referring to as well?

Assuming we're on the same page, do you think there would also be a hardware cost for whatever device (a modem?) that goes on the end of the additional broadband coax?

Ta!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

you can only have one hub on the circuit - so you need to decide where you want it and think about options from there

moving it downstairs is simple - you need a splitter which would then feed the hub and tv box - if you need lan connections in each are then there will have to be a lan cable run between the 2 sites - from that you then have various options

Tony
0 Kudos
chenks
Trouble shooter
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

by re-cabling, that means anything that involves either moving your current equipment or adding new cabling.

not sure i follow what you mean by "hardware cost". you would be simply moving your existing hub to the new location. you can't have 2 hubs if that's what you mean.

you either have the hub where it is and run your own ethernet to the new location. or move the hub to where you want the new location to be, and run ethernet up to where it used to be.

you can't add a second virgin hub if that's what your idea was.
0 Kudos
sijones
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

As per the title of my post I was asking about a second broadband connection to the exterior box. Sounds like that's a no-go then.

Moving the hub downstairs doesn't help, as that would mean I'd still need to run an immensely long ethernet cable back upstairs to the study where all my computer kit lives. Same problem, different direction.

I'll just lay in a cable from the current hub location upstairs, back to the front room. I swear if I ever have a new house built it'll be pre-wired with ethernet in every room. Thanks for the responses!

Simon

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

when i do any decorating i always install ethernet ports now. Never know when you'll need them

0 Kudos
Tudor
Hero
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yep, Ethernet cable is always preferable to using WiFi. It’s not that difficult to install and is worth it in the long run. Flood wired my house many years ago when decorating and have never regretted it. 

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

It never ceases to amaze me how many people will gripe for years about bad WiFi whilst refusing to drill a hole or two in order to run Ethernet cabling.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection