Menu
CJPN
Joining in
Message 21 of 48
Flag for a moderator

Re: SUPERHUB 3.0 FIRMWARE UPDATE ( 9.1.116.608 )

Long-long-term Virgin/NTL user.

Just received the 608 update.  No real performance figures or latency measurements as yet (as they don't matter to me as much as some - but borked hardware is borked hardware and should be repaired as a matter of principle), but happened to be in the right place at the right time to look directly at our "favourite" Superhub 3 as it automatically entered its firmware update procedure.

Turns out the SH3 drops all connections and a very short time thereafter flashes all three usually-green (WiFi etc) fascia lights red, briefly, during an FW update.

Useless information for the baying masses.

0 Kudos
CJPN
Joining in
Message 22 of 48
Flag for a moderator

The UI seems to have undergone some optimisation, in that it no longer labours under the "catastrophically slow" category.  Yet, they still haven't (and this is deeply irritating) made the initial password entry in to a standard unreadable password entry.

0 Kudos
ianward
Up to speed
Message 23 of 48
Flag for a moderator

Just checked the version I am on and its 9.1.116.608, the UI is much faster, not noticed any different in BB performance but I am not a gamer and not had latency issues that I am aware. 

I'm on 100mg

Ian

0 Kudos
philjohn
Fibre optic
Message 24 of 48
Flag for a moderator

I work from home a couple of days a week typically, and use Cisco Jabber to videoconference. It's super susceptible to jitter and I've noticed that audio and video no longer freeze for half a second every 5-10s, and people on the other end have commented that my video and audio is much better than it was previously for the same reason.

Anecdotal (well, apart from the network monitor I have assessing ping and jitter every two hours, which has also showed far more consistent values, almost as good as when I was on FTTC);

0 Kudos
drmrbrewer
Joining in
Message 25 of 48
Flag for a moderator

Is there any way of forcing the firmware to update?  I'm currently on 9.1.116V.

I've only just set up a monitor on thinkbroadband, but is the following OK or does it suggest that some improvement is possible?

VM.jpg

0 Kudos
Tudor
Community elder
Message 26 of 48
Flag for a moderator

There is no way to force an update. It is being distributed by VM area by area, highest speed users first I believe. VM do not publish their schedule. 

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal
0 Kudos
yafuser
On our wavelength
Message 27 of 48
Flag for a moderator

I am on VIVID350 and did have the update when my broadband was installed, but for some reason (without me doing anything) I got downgraded back to the stock firmware.

I just want the update back...

0 Kudos
Static
Superfast
Message 28 of 48
Flag for a moderator

Rumour has it that a pin hole reset could result in the firmware being downgraded to the current official release.
A pin hole reset has an extremely small chance of causing the new firmware to be installed, you could try it, if it doesn’t work you will just have to wait for the official release.  

0 Kudos
mavericke2018
Superfast
Message 29 of 48
Flag for a moderator

I've been informed by a VM engineer today that it is not advisable to press on the reset button on the Hub 3.0 unless it is necessary to do so. 

0 Kudos
VMCopperUser
Problem sorter
Message 30 of 48
Flag for a moderator

A Reset and a Reboot would do the exact same thing.

Don't reset it, reboot it and see if it fetches a new one.  They can Force an update or they can have it grab an update.  If it restarts then it would grab one if it is there. 

And can firmware fix hardware issues, no, but you can move the faulty processing from the faulty bit of hardware to the bit of software that is running.  I think that's what the fixes are doing (but not sure, don't have Hub3, not kept up much with this issue either).   But I am watching enough Cause... I watch ;P.

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.

I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.
0 Kudos