cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SH4 - 5GHz beaming quesion

ozsat
Superstar

Is there anywhere which describers the best directional postioning for the SH4?

So our is located in a cormer of the house.

What is the recommended facing direction for best Wifi beaming on 5GHz.

Straight forward, sideways, from corners etc?

Thanks in advance,

==================================
1.2Gb/100Mb in Oxford (area 31) using SH5
5 REPLIES 5

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The sh4 emits a sphere around the hub so it's best in the centre of the home 

lotharmat
Community elder
I believe the internal antennae are set perpendicular to each other in the hub 4 - There is a teardown post somewhere - this means that as long as it is out in the open it should be fine! - However... it is a bargain-basement piece of junk router and you'd be waaaaaay better getting your own and using the hub 4 in modem mode!!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

I do have my own router which I use but the 360 boxes are not very functional with it .The 360 minis will not set recordings etc through the non-VM router - an issue VM are well aware of it would seem.

So the SH4 is used in WiFi mode for them - and I use my own router for everything else.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

See message 2 here from @japitts on the issue of 360 and your own router - shouldn't be the issue

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-TV-360/TV-360-Box-amp-Router-Compatibility/m-p/4795330#M...

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

But it is an issue. I even set up my router to match the VM wifi names.

Everything works until you try and access recordings - setting them or playing back on a mini does not work - yet CU/OD works fine.

I've even had main and mini connected direct to router by ethernet and still no recording facilties.

VM have confirmed others with the intermittant issue. I guess it is down to certain brands of router.

In theory though - I guess but hooking the VM kit via the SH4 and my own kit via my own router. My own router may get a little bit of a speed boost due to the 1GB limit on the Ethernet port and some traffic now not using it??

@jbrennand wrote:

See message 2 here from @japitts on the issue of 360 and your own router - shouldn't be the issue

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-TV-360/TV-360-Box-amp-Router-Compatibility/m-p/4795330#M...