cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rubbish Wifi on Super Hub 3

sfsd334
On our wavelength

I've just moved back to Virgin Media after a while and set up the Super Hub 3. The Wifi is still as rubbish as ever. The signal is dropping after a few hours. If there's VM staff on this forum then is it possible to be sent a Super Hub 4? I don't fancy being stuck on the phone for hours phoning VM

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

"Which port on the Super Hub 3 is the WAN port when it is in modem mode?" any one. They all work, but you can only connect a router.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Hub 4 or 5 won't help you as the wifi's similarly "meh".  

Checkout that the problem is just wifi, not the broadband connection itself, and if you're sure its wifi strength, coverage and range, then see if you do or can easily qualify for Volt benefits, which would get you free VM wifi pods (if not, they're £5 a month), and if that's a non starter you need to start thinking about investing in your own mesh or router setup.  Or, if you're in your 14 day cooling off period, phone to cancel, and the retentions people might well offer you free pods if you stay.   

sfsd334
On our wavelength

I've had the Super hub 3 in the past and have had the same issue. I don't fancy paying extra for something that should work out of the box. I've read the super hub 4 has 11 antennas vs the hub 3's 5. I didn't realise there was a super hub 5 now. I was with Talktalk for 18 months and never had any issues with their Wifi 

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
VM the ISP that should not have done router mode.
---------------------------------------------------------------

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
The Hub4 wifi is not any better and forget the Hub5. VM dont "guarantee" wifi

You can try this on a Hub3 it often helps....

Try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings and at the same time switch off "channel optimisation/Smart wifi” “ apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub3 users get better wifi performance - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Ultimate Oomph or Volt packages - is that you? If so they are worth trying - they should work for you.

If not… you will be charged £5/month. Its a simple solution and should work for you. However, I guess that's a non-starter for you.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

sfsd334
On our wavelength

thanks. Which port on the Super Hub 3 is the WAN port when it is in modem mode?

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

"Which port on the Super Hub 3 is the WAN port when it is in modem mode?" any one. They all work, but you can only connect a router.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2